penguin74's story - (age 34, my first post, so hello!)

penguin74

Reaction score
I've been lurking these boards for some time and today decided to just go ahead and sign up, share some thoughts and it's comforting to know that we are not alone out there. Just reading other people's problems, regimens and the occasional success stories made me feel slightly better about my hair loss, feeling like the cure may not be tomorrow, but I see that there is hope, as slow as results may be to appear.

So here I am, at 34, with a nice bald spot on the crown. It started when I was 27-28 or so, but seemed small enough at the time that I decided to just not do anything about it. I started wearing a hat, no only because I liked it, but it concealed the little bit of scalp atop my head. Needless to say, the bald spot grew bigger and only in the past 6 months have I decided to do something about it. I will still wear hats occasionally, but now it's gotten to the point where I'm embarrassed to be seen without it. I look quite younger than my age (according to most) and as soon as I feel my head with the hat off, I actually start to feel older than my age, and this overwhelming fear and sense of insecurity just wraps me up. I hate it. The temples are also receding, albeit more slowly, and I can deal with that a lot more, it's not too bad at this stage, but the crown (most balding at the back of it, meaning I have to sort of lean forward looking into a mirror to even see the beginning of the balding area) has lost quite a bit over the years and I would say is a Norwood 4? Not sure, I looked at that chart on some other page and would venture it's around that, maybe a little less.

Admittedly, I am starting to feel desperate, as I'm sure many of you have at one point. Where I do have hair, thankfully, it's quite dense and dark, with a few thinning areas on the front-top, and besides the balding crown, I let it grow to the point where I look like I did at 18-20 all over again. So if I can keep what I have then great, but now I'm really wanting to grow hair on the crown.

I've been researching the more holistic home remedy approaches, realizing that lots of them are hit-or-miss (lots o' misses), but I still have adopted a few things in my regimen, such as:

-Aloe Vera Gel (applied directly to scalp after shower)
-Apple Cider Vinegar (2 tsp. with glass of green juice every morning, sometimes also at night if i remember)
-Organic Pure Coconut Oil (also a dap rubbed in every other day, massaged deep into scalp)
-*New Chapter "One Man's Daily' Multivitamin.
-*New Chapter Saw Palmetto (2 capsules a day)
-Organic Vegetal Silica supplements (2 capsules a day)
-Fish Oil tablets (2 a day)

*This brand was highly recommended as the best from the plethora of brands t chose from in a few reputable health food/vitamin shops in the neighborhood. A bit more $ but oh well.

Now I know this approach may put off some people, but before I resort to minoxidil and others, I wanted to try the natural way.
Ok, it's been about 3 months on the above regiment and while I can't really see the results on the crown, when I put my fingers and caress it, it actually feels like new tiny little hairs are beginning to sprout there. Can't see it (maybe I would if really up close) but I can feel a difference. Also, the rest of my hair seem to have gone thicker and just shinier and healthier. I will say that I shampoo once a week only with some organic 'no chemicals' brand with basil, rosemary and peppermint extracts.

So now after reading so many positive posts here I am noticing 2 repeat suspects in getting results.
Nizoral shampoo and Rogaine foam.
I am now willing to just stop thinking like a hippie for a bit and get on that bandwagon, hoping it accelerates the process.

-I looked up Nizoral and as I understand it, it's marketed as an anti-dandruff shampoo but seem to have won the hears of many men with male pattern baldness in order to clean and revitalize the scalp?

-minoxidil: Until the recent posts here, I had only heard neutral to negative comments about it. Either it had zero effect, or people lost more hair as a result. A friend of mine tried it a few years ago and said he saw no regrowth whatsoever, be he did give up after 3 months, perhaps he should have stuck it out a bit longer?
My question is though, I've read many posts suggesting the Rogaine foam vs. the spray. Is there a reason for this, does the foam seem to have a better effect on actually regrowing some hair back?

-Saw Palmetto: This one's a twister. Some swear by it, others say DON'T USE IT! Libido problems, man boobs (lol), or just plain "IT DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING", I don't know what to believe anymore, cause bottom line is I think anything taken affects everyone in a different way. I've been taking the SP pills (320mg in 2 capsules) and haven't had any sexual side effects. In fact, it seems the opposite in my case, my sex drive has increased as well as overall sensitivity down there. So go figure. Generally I have to say that I've read more positive things about saw palmetto and how it can help with hair loss than negative ones.

So basically I posted because I want to start adding Nizoral and perhaps Rogaine foam to the daily reg.
Do you think it will help? Also, when talking % intake....1 or 2% for nizoral to start? And the minoxidil foam, is there an option of 2 or 5% like the spray?

Lastly, a friend in europe told me over the holidays about Rogaine with Retin-A, said a friend of his took just those 2 and within 6 months completely grew his hair back, same area, huge bald spot on crown is now a thing of the past. He is now apparently doing the natural stuff to maintain it with great success (mostly coconut oil, pure aloe vera gel and rosemary/lavender shampoo twice a week).
Now, where does one get Retin-A? How do you mix it with the minoxidil, proportions and such? Is there a pre-mixed formula that can be purchased somewhere, online perhaps?

Thank you for any responses and advice/comments. Glad to be here, it's good to talk about this stuff.

Penguin

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Re: my first post, so hello!

Hello

Pure Jojoba oil is a good product for scalp and hair.

Armando

penguin74

Reaction score

Thanks Armando,

indeed I read quit a bit about jojoba oil, as well as rosemary, lavender and almond as good carrier oils to combine with other herbal tinctures (saw palmetto, ginseng, garlic, etc.). The latest thing I read, this morning in fact, was ONION JUICE!?!
Oh my, diggin' up the ol' folklore scrolls here it seems, but it looks like there is some truth to it and some success stories are out there to be shared. Onion juice? I'll get me coat, off to the farmer's market right now, lol. I will certainly try it, why not.

Quick question about Rogaine foam side-effects...
Is it true that swelling in the face and dark circles under the eyes can occur? Are these general side-e's or more isolated cases?
I'm hesitant to start on the foam but I will probably do it, definitely not interested in Propecia or any facsimile thereof just yet. I see it as a last resort/addition. :dunno:

Proper diet, proper hydration, mind power, stress alleviation and proper scalp nutrition, imo, can do a lot and are perhaps the building blocks to any successful regimen. Above all: patience and perseverance.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score

penguin74 said:
Proper diet, proper hydration, mind power, stress alleviation and proper scalp nutrition, imo, can do a lot and are perhaps the building blocks to any successful regimen. Above all: patience and perseverance.

I am with you.,..., but Jojoba oil plus certains essential oils are good for hair. Here one study (*), in alopecia areata, but certainly don't be bad for common hair loss. Please see the photograph.

Respect at minoxidil it is possible develop the side effects you cited. For me, the great problem with this medicine is they are for all life, acording the instructions of the manufacturer....

Have a nice day

Armando

(*)
http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/conten ... 34/11/1349

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score

I couldn't read your entire post (my ADD is acting up) . . .

but Hello and "Welcome".

Good luck w/ your hair.

penguin74

Reaction score

Holy crap, those before and after pics are insane! Is it even the same guy? The before guy's head seems huge compared to his happy-grow-lucky self pic on the right, lol.

I know going herbal and all-natural may be a slower and not-so-documented process, but I'm a firm believer that they can be very beneficial. I learned a lot about them on this site, which is also where I decided to start this way than shoot for the pharma-gaine-icia chemical approach. (aka "Propecia-aine")

http://www.earthclinic.com

Incredibly useful site, a bookmark for sure. Look under the "cures" link and get ready for some incessant hours of reading.
Hair loss is also in there.

In my initial post I had a few questions, still would love to read some comments but here is one more.
In addition to my natural regimen, if I were to chose only on of those two, which would you recommend?
Nizoral shampoo or Rogaine Foam? I'm expecting a lot of "use both dude, one won't do much without the other", but I thought I'd try.

penguin74

Reaction score

I'm just wondering now if being a NW4 (more like 4.5) on the crown, is there any chance left for me?
Did I start too late, has anyone with such loss on the crown been able to grow it back, even a little?
I'm still going strong with my regimen, which is all natural for now, but as i mentioned above, perhaps adding some minoxidil foam can shed a little light, no pun intended. Sigh...

:roll:

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score

I went from a NW4 to a 3 - so it is indeed possible - but I also grew boobs and quit all hair loss recovery methods for a few years and evolved into a 5A during that time - trying like hell now to just get back to a 4 :)

penguin74

Reaction score

hmm...interesting, there is hope then.
Like I also mentioned earlier, I can sort of feel tiny little specs of hair when i gently rub my finger on the bald crown, maybe that is a good sign, dunno, but I can't see anything, still looks very shiny and scalpy when looking into the bathroom mirror, though I haven't taken any sort of really close-up pics of any kind, perhaps that would be a good way to document the possible progress, on a weekly basis or so.

Thanks for your response.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score

Best thing to do is try and not to think about it (I know, easier said than done).

9 months after starting the Big 3 - my crown had entirely filled in - so slowly and subtly that it took someone else to mention it before I noticed it.