Peppermint Tea and Body Hair Shed

G

Hi,

I've been taking Peppermint tea (1 or 2 large cups) a day for appprox 2 months now and thought I noticed that my body hair was shedding a lot more than normal. I stopped taking this tea for 2 weeks and I am experiencing no where near as much shedding of body hair as I was.

What does this mean? That Peppermint tea reduces body hair? I didn't notice anything good or bad for head hair though.

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
It could be a toxic effect of peppermint you are more susceptible to than normal?

Interestingly my mum used to drink buckets of the stuff for years, but then all of a sudden every time she drank it she had really bad stomach pain. Apparently there are toxins in peppermint (very low levels as there are in any other plant to an extent) that can build up and cause symptoms in some people.

Although when I read around years ago I think cooking peppermint thoroughly should help so surely boiling water would too, but apprently not.

Sorry I couldn't come up with anything hair-loss specific!

G

A toxic effect? Well I didn't notice anything negative, I see the body hair shed a positive side effect. I know it's common for females to drink Spearmint or Peppermint tea to reduce excessive body hair but how does that work? What causes this?

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Well just becuase it's a toxic effect (if it is) doesn't mean it can't cause something useful- many antibiotics are toxic but the idea is they are designed so the bacteria, fungi etc are much more susceptible to the toxicity then you are.

I guess that like different areas of your head- vertex vs frontal, some areas of body hair are more susceptible to whatever is in the peppermint tea that causes the shedding.

Perhaps you could find what it is and make a fortune from female cosmetics, and invest in har loss research? :woot: