Performing Artist's Last Resort: Hair System

orlando1974

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im new here but not to the experience of hair loss! I'm approaching my 40s now and just as my artistic career is starting to take off, my hair is falling out an alarming rate. I've already done one transplant which gave me an amazing hairline but... the crown is thinning and expanding too much, so I'll have to cut my losses and accept that I'll be wearing a hair system for the rest of my life...or until I'm ok with not wearing one!

Right now, I'm leaning toward HairDirect.com. Watched the DVD, went thru their forums, had a consultation, and even ordered my custom fitting kit to get started. However, Im still making appointments locally to make sure that HairDirect is the best option for me... at least to start with. I dont have a big budget (so the local places will probably be out of my league) but I think I can afford HairDirect...at least for one year. After that who knows maybe I'll just have a HD system duplicated at a cheaper online vendor... although I understand the hair used may not be the same.

Anyway, just wondering if Im going about this the right way. Order HD's Custom Fitting Kit to make sure I get the proper measurements and hair type/color/density. The whole saran wrap thing and order form from other sites like HollywoodLace of HairpieceWarehouse kinda scares me. But once I've got it right and have been doing HD for a year, I may consider another vendor that would sell cheaper. How did you guys do it (those who are now wearing a system)?

Thoughts?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Orlando. Sorry to hear about your predicament, although you have not done badly getting to 40. It sounds like you are going about it broadly the right way. One thing to be aware of is that the template you make doesn't have to be 100% accurate. The bases have quite a lot of give in them. A lot of guys just buy a stock hairpiece and cut it down to size, and that works fine for most. The important thing is to get the color match good and to get a decent cut-in. he good news is that nowadays you can get a really great lace hairpiece for around $200 which is pretty much undetectable.
]I have sent you a PM with some other thoughts. Ask away if you have any other questions or probs.