pH adjusting your homemade spironolactone

CCS

Reaction score
Those of you trying to save money by grinding up spironolactone pills to make your own spironolactone topical:

It is most stable at a pH of 4.3. Without pH paper, it is hard to know how much lemon juice to add to make it 4.3. Vitamin C buffers at 4.3, which means if you put put some in, you got a good chance of getting close to 4.3. But vitamin C is not stable, and may break down in a week, according to some sources (not sure how drinks get around this). But alpha lipoic acid is cheap and buffers at pH 4.7. That should be close enough. 5% ALA creams are also very good for your skin. I'm going to make a skin cream with mine, and put some in my topicals.

bubka

Reaction score
how about at least talk about a titration or an electronic pH indicator, instead of middle school pH paper... sometime i wonder about your "college chemistry student" name is real

and i see the drug cocktails are back in style

CCS

Reaction score
middle school pH paper is called litmus paper, and only tells if the pH is greater or less than 7. If alpha lipoic acid buffers at pH 4.7, it would be more able to overcome the pH of the solution. I'm putting it in my bodywash. The stuff is cheap.

bubka

Reaction score
yeah, i know what litmus paper is, you said pH paper, that is what i was talking about, pH paper is not that accurate either, as i said, electronic pH reader or titration

CCS

Reaction score
I'm not sticking a $600 pH probe into a bottle of shampoo. I'd have to stir it to, since reads by pulling H+ out of solution. Good luck titrating shampoo. Won't tell you anything without some pH measurements somewhere. I bet shampoo has many weak acids and bases in it. I don't have to get the pH exact. The pH paper reads in 0.1 increments, which are accurate at least within 0.5. I'm sure as long as I'm under 5 and over 4 I'll be fine. Just need to calculate how much I'd add to pure water and go with that and do a small check.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
College: Nicotinic acid has a ph of 2.7. It's cheap to buy and should work well in your spironolactone. concoction IMHO. It is also a blood vessel dilator.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Sh ... cd=1&gl=us

Also, there ain't nothing wrong with plain old white vinegar IMHO.

Vitamin C drinks don't get around the stability problem. They assume you will drink it before a week runs out (i.e., after you open it and air gets in there).

CCS

Reaction score
is ascorbyl palmitate any more stable that regular vitamin C?

antonio666

Reaction score
spironolactone topically cannot be that good has you have been banging on about hair peices for the last week,so not doing much good for you ccs

CCS

Reaction score
antonio666 said:
spironolactone topically cannot be that good has you have been banging on about hair peices for the last week,so not doing much good for you ccs

I have not used topical spironolactone in a while, and it does not regrow hair from slick bald scalp, which I'm trying to do. It is much better for keeping the hair you have.