pizzaboy's story - (nw2, Please give me advice)

pizzaboy

Reaction score
please listen to my story and give me any possible advice...i'm desperate for help...I don't mean to make this an essay but please bear with me

After 6 months on propecia (December), my hair loss had halted and my hair thickened up considerably. Then out of nowhere I started noticing hair fallout like crazy. Since starting propecia I had not noticed a single hair in the shower or on my bed, so I was startled. I was told it was a normal shedding phase and to stick with the program as things will improve. Every time I would run my hands through my hair there would be tons of hairs (not miniaturized, but long, normal-looking hairs) that would shed, hairs were falling off my head like crazy. Also, there would be white bulbs attached to the end of the hairs - I have read this is a sign of telogen effluvium, not sure if that is a good thing..?

Each month that went by the situation got worse. First, I was shedding alot. Then, my hair started to get very oily and my scalp was itchy. Next, I started experiencing inflammation to coincide with the shedding and itchiness. A few weeks later I started getting intense dandruff and scaling all over the top of my scalp, and the hair loss and diffuse thinning has spread over my entire scalp, even in the back and sides that were not thinning at all prior. My derm told me I have seborrheic dermatitis and put me on a number of different medical shampoos and even oral ketoconazole and another anti-fungus pill, and the seb derm side effects have not gone away. I just keep losing hair and the dandruff/inflammation/itchiness will not go away. I never had any scalp problems AT ALL (including dandruff) before, which makes me believe I must be having some sort of side effects from finasteride.

I dont know what to do, stop finasteride or not? I mean it was working fantastic for me for so long, I had completely stopped thinking about my hair and was back to my normal self and then seemingly out of nowhere seborrheic dermatitis drops a load on my forehead. I dont want to stop propecia, because then what will i take for my hair? Nothing? I will almost surely lose it then. I pray to God that since the hair that I've been losing has not been miniaturized that it will grow back. Until then I just have to keep moving on, increasingly afraid to look in the mirror.

I started propecia as a NW2 with a slightly receding hairline and thinning in the temples. I am now diffusely thinning in what looks like a bad Norwood-level. I dont know how my hair could take such a drastic turn for the worst in such a short period of time, but it is extremely depressing.

Please give me any advice.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Re: This is my depressing story. Please give me advice

I feel for you mate, especially after such a positive initial response to finasteride...I have no experience with SD but it looks like the onset of it has coincided with the hairloss. It may well be a coincidence or could be caused by the propecia...if none of the medications are halting it then would you consider quitting finasteride for a fe months to see if hte symptoms subside?

pizzaboy

Reaction score

lets say it is the propecia that caused SD...then what do I do? Stop taking propecia, but then how do I block DHT? Considering all the hairs I've been losing has been long, normal looking hair, and not miniaturized in any way, it doesnt seme like normal balding process, more like some kind of deranged abnormal shed.

Would switching to avodart make a difference, or do you think the side effects would be even worse?

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score

you're worried that stopping finasteride would lead to you losing your hair??? if you read ur post, u'll note that ur losing it anyway..and at a faster rate/larger area than before finasteride.

dump the finasteride and see what happens. GL

pizzaboy

Reaction score

thank-you for the input.

what i actually meant to ask was let's say i stop propecia and the SD clears, what then? Obviously I can't just go on without using any meds and expect to not keep losing my hair..would i then try to take a different dosage or switch to saw palmetto/avodart?

Ideas?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

At least then you would know that it is the finasteride which is causing the SD...it may just be a co-incidence...
yeah your options would be to give dutasteride a try and see how you fare with that or use a topical DHT blocker...

]

pizzaboy

Reaction score

thanks for the responses, as of today i'm dropping finasteride...

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score

You could try a topical DHT blocker. The ones with the best reputation on this forum seem to be Revivogen and Proxiphen.

pizzaboy

Reaction score

should i just quit propecia cold turkey altogether, or should i reduce the daily dosage and taper it off until its done?

BARCA

Established Member
Reaction score

I would stay on finasteride and use nizoral every other day

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It's hard to saay, your aim is obviously to try and get rid of the SD right and see if it's the finasteride which is causing it...As far as I see it you can either gradually reduce it and see if that has an impact or completely quit it. If you completely quit it and the scalp probs go away I guess you know it's the finasteride and you could then consider re-introducing it in small dosages seeing how much you can handle before it builds up again...
Obviously this is all pure speculation and @what ifs"...wish I could help you more. :dunno: