PLEASE HELP! 17 year old taking minoxidil for 2 months ;(

seed

Reaction score
Hi

First of all, I want to excuse myself for my bad english. I am a seventeen year old male from central europe who is really seeking for some help and/or good advices.
I had always had an extremely high amount of hair though it was very thin.
Up to now, I am losing my hair for nearly a whole year like hell. The first months I didn't really recoginzed my hair loss, because I wore my hair pretty long and also simply didn't expect that hair loss would be a problem for me with f*****g 17.
Do not ask me about in which Norwood - state I am. I simply do not fit in any of those schematas because I am losing all the hair + thinning at the back and the the top of my head. A blood test showed nothing abnormal, so it must be a genetic thing (my father was nearly completely bald with 30 years - besides,... it's the only ****f*****g thing I ever got from him, but that's another story).
However, nearly 2 months ago I told a dermatologist about my problem and he advised me to use Minoxidil 5%. The first 3 weeks nothing happened. I just had a slight itchiness from time to time. BUT, week 4 to 7(where I am now) was just terrible. My scalp started to flake and I got a shedding which made me nearly fall into tears :cry: . I am now using this Nizoral Shampoo in addition and it helped me dealing a bit with the irritations I got from minoxidil (It also makes my hair look thicker - a really nice product I think). The shedding stopped some days ago and at the moment my status is quite constant. I'm DEFINITELY NOT going to say that minoxidil stopped my hair loss. There is simply no more f*****g hair I could lose! If I pull out all my hair I could also "stop" my loss *HAHAHA* :(
After reading all the bad storys about Minoxidil I am thinking of stopping it and switching to propecia(which was my initial idea, but my Doctor rather didn't want me to take finasteride with 17). First, my hair simply can't get worse or even thinner at the moment, and second I can't stand the messing around with minoxidil. I really trust in your opinion, so what would you tell me to do?
I also have some additional questions about minoxidil: After all, if you get new hair with minoxidil and you stop applying it to your scalp it will definitely fall out. So far so good, but do you lose the hair forever or will it regrow with the next cycle as thick as before when taking finasterid?

Hoping for some help... seed

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
You do know that a shed could be a good thing when on Minoxidil right?

Also, if you are suffering from male pattern baldness, and you are going to take finasteride, then why not take both? they dont interfere with one another.

finasteride deals with the cause of male pattern baldness (formation of DHT), while Min is used as a growth stimulator. Thers a reason that people here use them in conjunction, and thats because they compiment each other. Definitely get on both.

Deaner

Reaction score
eeee, gettin on the minoxidil BEFORE the finasteride. I personally think the best route of action is, if you're not that bad off, try finasteride first for a year, and if that's not cuttin' it for you, then get on minoxidil for the regrowth. I'd hate to be a slave to a topical for the rest of my life if it's not necessary...