Please Help! Hair piece horror!!!

linkage

Reaction score
Hi,

I just went in got my piece from one of the Salon in the San Francisco area. And it looks horrible!!!!

A number of things are wrong with it:

1) I think the density is too much (although the lady said it's the thinest density already -- otherwise she would have to go order 'ultra' custom' which is very expensive'...

2) The hairline is horrible. I cannot expose the hairline at all. I was told (and from looking at it), that is is an lace-based. So, I thought it would be fine. But it seems that the density at hairline is too thick. But that said, If I try to expose the hairline, I can see the the shiny tape. This looks nothing like some photos I saw on coolpiece or toplace

3) she used tape in the front and glue in the back -- the front has issue that if I try to expose the hairline, I can see the tape. For the back, I think she glued it onto my hair as well as the shaved area. This really creates 'lumps' along the line of the piece in the back. Is it supposed to be that way????

4) I think the piece is attached too low. It make my hairline unusally low.

What can I do to fix this? I am starting a few job next Monday and was hoping to get this work. Should I?

1) Try keep this one and modify it (are there ways of cutting to make the hair less dense? Reattach to align the hairline, use different tape?

2) Do you guys know of Salon on San Francisco/Bay area that can really do a good job? I thought this lady sounded pretty knowledgeable from talk to her

3) Shave the head....

Thanks a for all the advices.....

IBM

Reaction score
Do you suffer from skin disease? Is your skull no uniform? Do you suffer from plagiocephalis? Why you're using an hairpiece?

If its only because you're balding then you should not use an hairpiece. It will consume your mind. You'll think if anyone has detected your fake hair.

G

i agree with ibm, yet i may sound like a hyocrit being my son just got a system,yet in all honesty, i wish he'd just shave his head, because his quick fix instant hair, does consume him completley. i'd love the day that he can go out the door without any worry about a taped on piece of hair!

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
I`ve said it a hundred times, if you want to do the hair replacement/wig route, you need to buy the hair and do the work yourself.
These salons and centers have little or nothing to offer worth considering.
There are far too few good ones out there.
They are too costly.
Most of them give you a thick stock rug that looks like hell and charge 500-1200 and up for it.

Do it yourself, or do not do this at all.

All you can do is go back and have HER remove and reattach it further back, since SHE bragged about how good it was charged you the hard earned money for it.

Make HER thin out the hairline by getting the hair wet and then carefully and methodically plucking the hairs out one by one until it has the natural look SHE claimed it would have.

She`ll have to pull them slowly and carefully, making sure to remove the whole hair and not break them off.
Make her keep working until it looks right.

Tell her MichiganBaldy said so!!!!

hairissuesnCA

Reaction score
Wow...

I must say you guys have had the exact experience that causes the ill-repute of hair systems. And no IBM, there is nothing wrong with a hairsystem...they can be totally undetectable IF done correctly. By the way, I am wearing my first piece for 6 weeks now. I take good care of it so it has hardly lost any hair, and I do not notice any fading whatsoever.

I do think that my co-workers notice something is up...but only becuase of the shitty hair I had previously with Toppik..I mean you could tell it was a combover from a mile away and the strange greenish tint Toppik had on my dark hair was very noticable...kinda like rubbing my hair in the grass after a football game.

No kidding...first day I came in with the system on, a balding co-worker looked at it as asked me if I had just gotten a haircut..he then promptly stated that my hair looked good today and that he was in the need of a haircut...The one thing I really have going for me though is I have very thick hair on the sides and back, and I think this helps tremendously with achieving the natural look

And linkage, I think I mentioned specificially to watch the density...it can be a big give-away. What is the current density of your piece? Or did the hair salon dupe you with a factory made stock unit...which is what it sounds like...The other dead giveaway that the place you went to was not legit, is the fact that the stylist put tape on the front and glue on the back. This is totally opposite!!! You use tape on the back and sides for a stronger, longer lasting hold with easier clean up, and glue on the front for total undetectablity...and I mean you cannot see the damn thing from even close. Negative point with glue (small negative) is that you will need to lift up the front and clean and reapply...every 4-5 days...but I think this is because I run 3-4 times per week and sweat profusely and this dissolves the glue somewhat...but I tell you this takes me 15 mins max...less if you have a hairdryer to speed up the process of drying the glue. Linkage you mentioned seeing the tape up front...this is exactly why you use glue up front. And the lace should not be detectable IF you got the right color match with you scalp.

As far as fixing the density...my stylist mentioned NO you cannot start pulling out hairs as this will tear the lace. I had the same feeling as you the first time I got the cut-in...this is too mych hair!!!too thick!!! damm, did I make a mistake!!! But the stylist did thin the hairs out somewhat during the haircut, kinda the same way you can get your regular hair thinned out during a regular haircut. What you could do that might help is to get a shorter haircut overall. My system started out as recieve (6 inches). After the first cut-it, it was down to 2 1/2 inch...I came in the next day since I felt uncomfortable with sooo much hair...and had the hair cut down to 2 in. At that time I styled my hair with a parting...which can give somewhat of a wiggy look. Last week I went in for second cleaning...and had the system cut down to 1 1/2 inch (1 inch in front) and now finger style the hair forward with gel and slightly pushed up in front...I can tell you that this style looks much better on a younger guy and I do not feel uncomfortable at all.[/b]

hairissuesnCA

Reaction score
Just saw the previous post from MB and agree completely!! IF you buy from the salon, they will charge you ridiculously and most likely it will be a disappointment. I buy online, (Coolpiece) very informative/reputable company and they know exactly the spacing and density the hairline needs to be to be undetectable. Just have the salon make a template for you, fill out form and mail in to the online company for the hair...PLEASE!!!

As an example, the salon I went to was charging $1400 for the system. I told them I could get it online for $300. What's the difference? The stylist replied that since they make it in-house it can be ultra-customized. Well guess what, when she first saw the hair i brought in, she was shocked, and said it looked very good. Last week when I went in for a cleaning (6 weeks wearing total - third cleaning), she took the piece off and was so surprised at the lack of hairloss, that she took it into another room, no doubtable to have a closer look at how the knots were tied...None of the issues she mentioned during my first visit (hairloss, fading, lace tearing have occurred yet).

G

just want revenge on the high end salon, just to let them know how i feel about the near $1,800 for the first system and cut in and a doggy bag with shampoo, condtioners, etc. they gave us a FREE appt. as a follow up, so then which i knew, here comes the maintence contract to the tune of $207 a month and add taxes ..$220 a month.
no names mentioned yet i have to write these assholes ( i already wrote myself one for running there) and nicely tell them ...have a bad hair day!

sorry about spelling, you know what i'm saying

linkage

Reaction score
Thanks MB and HairissueCA

I thought I had picked the right place! I visted HCM but decided against it and I picked this one since there were actual pieces shown in her salon and first she even told me I shouldn't get one since I still have quite a lot of hair. Anyway, that does n't compesate for her actual lack of skill....

Anyway, a couple of final questions before I decide whether I will continue to work through this or just shave it all off.

1) So in the back, assuming using tape to secured hold, is it 'normal' to feel the 'ridge' or 'lumps' or whatever you call along the edge of the hairpiece where the tape is? That's what I mean feeling right now and it feels very WIERD running my hand through my head and feeling them).

2) Because I would sweat a lot and active, she decided not to glue the entire piece on my scalp. So it's just tape in the front and some yucky-glue in the back but nothing in the middle -- is that 'normal'???

3) On glue/tape whatever she used to secure the back is shiny -- I can sometime see it through the hair. is it always going to be like that or there are things I can do to make it look less shiny?

Thanks...

hairissuesnCA

Reaction score
great questions, i will do my best...

1)No, you should not be able to feel the tape or any ridges. I believe the lumps you were feeling is due to glue getting into the hairpiece hair or on own hair. The best way to check this is to brush your hair in that particular area. If you feel the brush pulling hair (like you have knots in the hair), then it is dried glue that has gotten into the hair. The tape I was given works very well. When the stylist first layed it down, I could feel it a little if i dug my fingers into my scalp and pressed hard. But after a while, especially if your hair starts growing out in the shaved area, you should not be able to feel a thing...but the bristles of your own hair.

2)I think that was the only correct info she gave you...it is a good idea not to "bond" the entire piece with glue, esp. if you are active b/c the glue does become yucky with time and sweat...However, when the glue is first layed down (it is a medical glue) it should disappear completely after drying, thus I'm not sure of the yucky effect you described on first application. Yes, I too leave the middle without any adhesive...trust me it helps tremendously with cleanup...the less adhesive you use the better. However, when placing the unit (with tape on the sides and back) the stylist must make sure to stretch the piece completely and press firmly against your scalp, so that the part in the middle does not stick up, and snag when you are brushing. I think that the initial placing of the piece after you have taken it off is the hardest part to get right...not too low, not too high and even on both sides...first time I did it without assistance two weeks ago it took five hours for the whole process (removal, removing adhesive-pain!, cleaning hair, reattaching-pain!)

3)Not sure about the shiny effect...you mentioned your hair was thick on sides anc back right??Why would you scalp be showing?? Anyway, I think that the stylist is not giving you the ideal tape and glue...maybe check online (Coolpiece, Toplace)..you can buy everything there. I buy lace release and adhesive remover from Coolpiece, and it works wonders...removes adhesive in minutes...

Hope this helps...not sure if shaving is an option though...i am asian too, probably would scare people with the shaved look...not right for my profession as well...

linkage

Reaction score
Hi Hairissuesca

thanks for your answers....really helpful.

I didn't know you are Asian. It's great to hear from Asian as I think the hair is a little different and the style we can achieve also maybe different from caucasian hair....

can I ask you a couple of Asian-hair related question?

- Which density did you use for your hair? I still have decent hair on the side and back but it not super thick and it has the 'see through' asian look if I keep it sort (around 1 cm). Not sure if you understand.

- What density did you use for the hairline?

- Is your natural hair fully straight? Mine is but the unit seems to have some slight curl to it (I think it's the 'body curve' curl). How did you deal with this?

- what type of hair did you use? On coolpiece I think there are 'Silky Chinese hair' or 'Top quality Indian Hair' or 'Remy Indian hair' -- which one did you use?

- Which color did you use for the lace base? and also what type did you use (i.e. all french? swiss?)

- Finally, do you have your photo? If you don't mind sharing it with me, I would really appreciate. You can black out the eye area or whatever. and I promise not to share with anyone. I just want to get a sense on the look/style that you were able to achieve....

Sorry for a lot of questions.....but I would really appreiate your help.

Thanks,

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds like she sold you a thicker hairpiece, and then proceeded to make a mess of things, on top of all that.....

First of all, this is what salons do. They sell a large, thick hairpiece because those are the type that are mass produced and cheapest to buy.
when it comes in, they always claim they need to make an adjustment, then they cut your hair off so it`ll fit.
They are also durable, thus their claim that it`ll last longer.

Nobody should ever wear one of these. The only type anyone should wear, if anything, is the paper thin based all lace pieces that are very delicate and, most of all, invisible to both the eye and the touch.
The idea is to get one thats slightly smaller than your coevrage area
(or your balding area) and stretch it skin tight as you slowly and carefully put it on.
This way it`ll be natural to the touch, it`ll feel right, it`ll look right, you wont need to worry about it and you can get on with your daily life enjoyments.

The thinner ones are going to need replacing sooner than later but so what, thats the reason we buy our own for 300 dollars each or less, make them last 2-3 months each, save time, money, and most of all, our dignity in that we dont look foolish out in public with a large beaver that some salon gooped onto our mugs.

hairissuesnCA

Reaction score
Hey linkage...let me just reiterate. I am Asian, just not the type you were expecting. I am of Indian decent. Are you Chinese? I think I know of the see-through issue on the sides that you mentioned previously. I have seen it on some of my Chinese buddies. Judging from their hair...which was usually of medium length always on top, I think maybe 80% would be good on top, sides and back with 75% front??? Michigan Baldy, could you please give your input. I think you have vastly more experience than I do... I currently use 90% density of top with 80% in front. It did look thick initially, but I believe this was most likely due to the fact that I was not used to seeing so much hair. Also as I had the hair cut shorter, it looks better now. I still do have some issues with my first unit though, and should be resolved with the second...it is a learning process in the begining. If you have the extra cash, why not order two units of different density...I know on toplace they cost $200 instead of $300. You can also send in a photo of your hair for their reference. Also, when fillling out the form, you will have to submit a hair sample so that they can correctly match the texture and color. This should resolve the previous issues you mentioned. Get the template made at a hairsystem salon(find a different one!!), ask them to cut a hair sample, and see if they have lace bases lying around on that you can place against your scalp to find the right color match. Remember, your actual scalp color will be slightly lighter than your forehead color. from lack of sun..so choose accordingly. Once you determine the color, you just check the option on the online order form...I will try to get a pic, but typically do not like to post in these early stages. Why not also attach a photo of the asian style you are trying to achieve (or younger pic of yourself) and submit along with other materials to the online company. Remember, it will take 4-6 weeks to recieve you hair though.

No, my hair has a slight natural wave to it...Thus naturally I ordered Indian Remi hair with the next step up in wave from body wave. The reason the hair did not match your own existing is due to the fact that the stylist did not match textures and wave...how could she if you were just given a stock unit?? You would most def. need the straight silky chinese hair in your unit without any wave...this is one of the options you can select online. I use all swiss base with a light brown base...unfortunately this is a tad too dark(I mistakedly color matched with forehead...but is not noticable) and I have ordered the next piece with biege base and next step up in wave for hair (I believe 3.2cm).

Hope this helps...what are your plans with the current unit? Are you still wearing it?

-

hairissuesnCA

Reaction score
Linkage,

Try this email address: jtb@coolpiece.com

His name is Jeff, and he works at coolpiece. He was extremely informative with similar questions and concerns I had in the beginning, and he will most likely direct you in decision making...

linkage

Reaction score
Hey HairIssueCA

Thanks for your post....Sorry for the late thanks. The last few days have been hectic with my new job....

So i have been wearing for 1.5 week now. Can't say that I am estatic after some adjustment made to front hairline. But I have not had people stared at me yet (maybe one -- though I don't know if it's because of the hair).

So, I guess it doesn't look totally awful (or maybe people are so polite these days that that don't say anything even if it looks bad). I found hair styling products to help keep the hair from looking puffy/wavey and I learned how to part the hair so looks better on me....

Anyway, I am already trying to order a new unit. My questions to you -- if you don't mind

1) I try to go lower on density (i.e. maybe 70%) -- I was told anything lower than 80%, I have to go with glue and not tape....

How has it been using glue for you in the front? How often do you have to to reattach/change? Do you have to take off the entire unit? Is it a big mess? You have had 'melt down' where glue melts and it get stuck in your hair? Which glue do you use?

niknak

Reaction score
MichiganBaldy said:
I`ve said it a hundred times, if you want to do the hair replacement/wig route, you need to buy the hair and do the work yourself.
These salons and centers have little or nothing to offer worth considering.
There are far too few good ones out there.
They are too costly.
Most of them give you a thick stock rug that looks like hell and charge 500-1200 and up for it.

Do it yourself, or do not do this at all.

All you can do is go back and have HER remove and reattach it further back, since SHE bragged about how good it was charged you the hard earned money for it.

Make HER thin out the hairline by getting the hair wet and then carefully and methodically plucking the hairs out one by one until it has the natural look SHE claimed it would have.

She`ll have to pull them slowly and carefully, making sure to remove the whole hair and not break them off.
Make her keep working until it looks right.

Tell her MichiganBaldy said so!!!!

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!