Please help me advice and a regimen..

stra8038

Reaction score
Please help me with advice and a regimen..

Hi there everyone..

I am 27 years old, almost 28. I have always been very insecure about my high hairline.. I have the added plus of having very thin hair on top of a high/receding hairline. I have had a high hairline since as far back as I can remember. This led me into being in denial about about hair loss until I was about 20. To give a little background on my family, my dad was bald by his mid to late 30's. His father did not have any hair loss issues. My mom does not have any hair loss issues (that I'm aware of).

I've actually done alot of research online about what can be done about hairloss to weed out all of the bs and basically it looks like there are three options that are actually proven to work.
  • ketoconazole shampoo
  • finasteride
  • minoxidil

With that being said, I have been using Lipogaines Big 3 shampoo now every other day (I alternate with Nioxin System 2 shampoo & conditioner) for about 3 months.. I'm not sure of its effectiveness because I honestly don't see a bunch of hair on the ground in the shower, and I never did before I started using it. I see 3 or 4 hair strands in my hair when I wash my hair, but that's about it.

I have not tried minoxidil yet mainly because the crown of my head seems to be just fine (I'll attach pictures at the bottom of this). My problem is my hairline and temples. And from what I've gathered, it seems that minoxidil isn't for hairline issues and is more targeted towards individuals who are losing hair at their crown.

And as far as finasteride goes, well... Pretty much any review I've read on it has been a horror story and freaked me out and made me not even close to interested in trying it.

I guess I'm at a weird spot and I don't know what to do. I've always had a high hairline and thin hair since as far back as I can remember, however, maybe it's just me but it looks to be getting worse.. maybe it's because it affects my self esteem so much. In my opinion, I am a Norwood 2A.

But what I'm here for is some honest advice about my problem, and some advice on a regimen. I have attached some pictures of my hairline in hopes that they will assist. I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

20150221_135341-1.jpg20150221_135401-1.jpg20150221_135446-1.jpg20150221_135755-1.jpg20150221_135759-1.jpg20150221_141855-1.jpg

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hairline looks really thin and receeded. I can see right thru your hair in the 4th pic. minoxidil can work anywhere on your head temples/hairline it's just more effective on the crown. I've seen people get regrowth on their temples with minoxidil.

My advice ignore the horror stories chances are if you experience sides they will subside or stop if you discontinue finasteride. If you think your hair looks like it did since forever, then so be it live with it and move on. If not jump on the big 3.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I have the same pattern of hair loss as you do basically a NW2A but I have definitely lost density all over. The only thing that can bring your hairline back is a hair transplant. I have tried everything to bring mine back and have failed. The hair line is the hardest area to regrow. If you want to slow things down you have to use Propecia. Minoxidil could help too but Propecia is a better choice. Otherwise, if you can't use them, then you could grow you bangs longer and comb your hair more forward to help conceal your problem. That is what I have chosen to do along with taking oral medication and using topicals. Eventually, if thing get worse, I will have to resort to a hair transplant.

stra8038

Reaction score
I typically have my bangs forward in a ceasar cut style, I just pushed it all up for those pictures to show how high my hairline really is. I'm just very nervous about trying finasteride... I mean I'm 27, the last thing I need in my life is not be able to get a boner. I'm especially cautious about it because from what I read finasteride can stop hairloss but it isn't known to regrow, that is what minoxidil does. I guess I'm trying to get some advice as to weather I should bite the bullet and look into finasteride or not based on my pattern of hairloss: just at the hairline level, not at the crown Is it really going to help me in my case? That will dictate weather or not I actually try finasteride. It's just, that I literally have never read a good story about finasteride in terms of sexual side effects. And my other thing is, I'm a little nervous about trying minoxidil if it won't help my hairline or temples, because I've read alot of reviews that once people stopped using it, it actually sped up their MBP than from what it was before starting.

DrDog

Reaction score
START THE BIG 3

Most importantly take finasteride. Don't believe anyone on this site. Everyone here is toxic to finasteride.

This to consider, you're going to be doing this regime forever, but its not expensive and available.