Please Help: Rogaine or Propecia

Illini

Reaction score
Greetings everyone: Although I have been slowly losing my hair for the past four years, I have been in a state of denial until recently. I finally met with a dermatologist, who confirmed that I am indeed losing my hair. I still have a pretty full head of hair and was wondering what everyone's opinon was regarding treatments to maintain my current hair count. The doctor recommended that I use Rogaine because of the absence of side effects and because, according to him, sixty percent of men who try it are able to maintain their hair. I am wondering if this statement is consistent with everyone's experience with Rogaine. Is it a viable remedy for maintaining one's hair, or should I try Propecia instead? Please share experiences, pros & cons of both treatments, etc. Thanks.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
in my personal opinion, if maintenance is your goal, you should go on propecia, thats what it is known for, that's what it has been proven to do, and that's what its especially good at. you may even regrow some too. and its as easy as waking up, taking a pill, and forgetting about it for the rest of the day and not building your daily schedule around hair loss treatment.

for me, rogaine is a giant pain in the ars and i really hate worrying about when i can shower (you have to wait four hours after you put it on to shower) waiting for it to dry to style your hair (i'm busy and don't like getting up any earlier than i have to), etc. if you have really short hair however, this might night be as big of a deal just to spray it on after you shower in the morning and right before you go to bed.

your situation sounds a lot like mine, and i've been doing pretty decent on propecia, you can always add rogaine later if things start to stray after using propecia for 7 or 8 years.

Axon

Reaction score
Dr. Lee's Minoxidil dries in 20 minutes as opposed to Rogaine's 2 hours.