Please_HelpMe's Story - ( 28 / I need some advice!)

PLEASE_HELPME

Reaction score
Ok guys,

Im new to this site, bee here about 5 minutes, and noticed this blog section. I need someones advice with expereience here....

I am 28 years old, and come from a long line of BALD MEN.

About 4-5 years ago, I decided I would avoid baldness at all costs, so I began on Proscar (generic Propecia) 5 mg. I simply cut the pill in half and took 2.5 mg a day. (I realize its still higher than the 1 mg dose, but could not cut the pills into fourths)

For 4 years, worked great. THEN... I started losing hair all of a sudden, considering I NEVER missed a dose.

Went to my doctor and a dermatologist. Started Rogaine and Avodart. For about 1- 1 1/2 years things were great. I am 100% honest when I say I have never got more compliments in my life. All my bald friends were pissed.

For the past 3 months, I am seeing hair fall out. Literally 10-20 hairs every morning I comb it. Also, most evenings at dinner, i run my hand through my hair and find 10-20 hairs on my hand. I have noticed SIGNIFICANT thinning on the top.

PLEASE HELP. This has caused MASSIVE depression in my life. Words cannot explain it. I guess I am just looking for clarification:

1. Is it possible that the Proscar, Avodart and Rogaine just stop working after time despite NEAR PERFECT compliance? Maybe Im destined to be BALD.

2. Any possible benefit to taking Proscar (Propecia) AND Avodart together?

3. ANY OTHER ADVICE?

4. IMPORTANT QUESTION: Does shedding happen once, or continously throughout life? Could this just be a major shedding time frame for me?

5. Used to take nutritional supplaments (creatine) for body building. Does that affect my hair????
:(

Thanks a million in advance to anyone that responds....

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: PLEASE ANYONE, I NEED SOME ADVICE!!!!!

First of all.. ask a disabled quadriplegic what he thinks about your hairloss depression concerns.

After you've sorted that out.. It could be one of three things.

1. If your on minoxidil, your scalp oil is stopping the penetration and your hairs are falling out (Avodart won't save minoxidil hairs that aren't being fed minoxidil)

2. Your suffering from "catch up" hyperandrogenicity, where your follicles have now become overly sensitive.. Start using RU58841

3. Your shedding a cycle, which will return thicker and stronger.. But if you keep shedding for weeks on end, this isn't whats happening.

PLEASE_HELPME

Reaction score

Empire,

Your right, and I probably shouldn't be "overly" depressed, but I have been spoiled for some time now due to the success of my previous regimens. You have provided some great advice.

Can you please clarify:

1. What is RU58801?

2. How do I address the oil in my hair so that the Rogaine is better absorbed? This must be a new issue, because I have noticed some great improvements in the past year with Rogaine.

3. TOUGH QUESTION: Other than counting the days, is there any way to determine if shedding is actually shedding, or hair loss?

4. Any benefit to Proscar and Avodart? Just curious.

Once again, thanks for the insight. Anyone else who could help, please feel free. I am most appreciative!!!!!!

Cassin

Reaction score

Seriously....is there a need to type in all caps?

Look at the rest of the posts in the forum and please revise your title please.

PLEASE_HELPME

Reaction score

Sorry about that...the reason for the caps is my extreme concern for my recent hair loss.

Please advise on how to change the title of this blog and I will remove the caps.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Empire said:
First of all.. ask a disabled quadriplegic what he thinks about your hairloss depression concerns.

1. If your on minoxidil, your scalp oil is stopping the penetration and your hairs are falling out (Avodart won't save minoxidil hairs that aren't being fed minoxidil)

2. Your suffering from "catch up" hyperandrogenicity, where your follicles have now become overly sensitive.. Start using RU58841

3. Your shedding a cycle, which will return thicker and stronger.. But if you keep shedding for weeks on end, this isn't whats happening.

Stupid thing to say.
1)"disabled quadriplegic" is a bit redundant. I think its safe to assume that quadriplegics are disabled.
2)Belittling people for being depressed, which seems to happen a lot on this board, is not cool. If you've not been there, you don't know, so don't try to offer advice.

Anyone who is really "depressed" over hairloss has something else going on, and is unable to turn it on and off based on a conversation with someone in a different situation, as you suggest. If you don't believe me, pick up a copy of DSM-IV.

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score

ClayShaw said:
Empire said:

Stupid thing to say.
1)"disabled quadriplegic" is a bit redundant. I think its safe to assume that quadriplegics are disabled.
2)Belittling people for being depressed, which seems to happen a lot on this board, is not cool. If you've not been there, you don't know, so don't try to offer advice.

Anyone who is really "depressed" over hairloss has something else going on, and is unable to turn it on and off based on a conversation with someone in a different situation, as you suggest. If you don't believe me, pick up a copy of DSM-IV.

I've lost 75% of my hair.. believe me.. I've been there.

I saw a quadriplegic and it changed my life.. So don't talk little man. Your turning the masses into weaklings.

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score

PLEASE_HELPME said:
Empire,

Your right, and I probably shouldn't be "overly" depressed, but I have been spoiled for some time now due to the success of my previous regimens. You have provided some great advice.

Can you please clarify:

1. What is RU58801?

2. How do I address the oil in my hair so that the Rogaine is better absorbed? This must be a new issue, because I have noticed some great improvements in the past year with Rogaine.

3. TOUGH QUESTION: Other than counting the days, is there any way to determine if shedding is actually shedding, or hair loss?

4. Any benefit to Proscar and Avodart? Just curious.

Once again, thanks for the insight. Anyone else who could help, please feel free. I am most appreciative!!!!!!

1. Google is your friend :)

2. By using topical Retin-A

3. By the length of it.. Shedding lasts less than a month... Hair loss goes on after 6 weeks.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Empire said:
ClayShaw said:
Empire said:

Stupid thing to say.

I've lost 75% of my hair.. believe me.. I've been there.

I saw a quadriplegic and it changed my life.. So don't talk little man. Your turning the masses into weaklings.

If you saw a quardriplegic and it changed your life, you weren't clinically depressed. Clinical depression is a chemical imbalance that cannot be turned around with face to face meetings with anyone.
Likewise, real depression cannot be caused by hairloss. I admit that the orginial poster did say his depression is caused by his hairloss, so you (empire) may be right. If its a different underlying condition that was aggravated by hairloss, meeting a quadriplegic will do nothing for him.
"So don't talk little man"... good stuff.
"Turning the masses into weaklings".... do you even believe that??
Like I said, if this guy really is "depressed", he was depressed before his hairloss.
I can't "turn the masses into weaklings", because I don't have the power to cause chemical imbalances in people's brains. It would be cool if I did, but I don't.
Anyone who uses the phrase "the masses" is a little suspect to start with, and probably considers themselves outside "the masses".
You met an American quadriplegic?? Did you tell him to shut the f*** up and be glad he didn't live in Gaza? Thats where your "race to the bottom" sort of logic leads. No matter how bad someone's situation is, someone, somewhere has it worse. Are you the final arbiter of whats ok to feel bad about? Or is it, if something doesn't bother you, it shouldn't bother anyone else?
To the original poster, if you really are depressed, get some help. Talk to someone, preferably not one of the Tom Cruise types on here that doesn't believe mental illness exists. These sorts of things only get worse, and sometimes the end result is not pretty.

PLEASE_HELPME

Reaction score
Re: Please anyone!, I need some advice!!!!!

Listen guys,

As my grandmother would say, "your both actin' up...."

I simply meant my hairloss is depressing... thats it. Dont read into it. We all get F***ING bothered by seeing our hair fanish....

Empire, thanks for the tips...

This Retin A stuff. Probably cant buy it in a regular Wal-Mart huh? I am hesitant on buying from some cooky online pharmacy.

My shedding has definetly gone on for longer than a month.... Must mean Im losing hair...

Oh yeah, if you know so much about this stuff, how did you lose 75% of your own hair??? Dont take your own advice..

Thanks again for the advice.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Re: Please anyone!, I need some advice!!!!!

not the quadraplegic analogy again..... :thumbdown2:

Depression isn't always rational, that doesn't make it any worse or better than somebody elses.

I bet there are some quadraplegics who are actually quite happy with life. Stephen Hawking appears to be quite content with life because he gets satisfaction from his work. (plus he has a full head of hair! )

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Ok, I fixed the all caps title of the thread. Now to Please_HelpMe, keep in mind the RU58841 is an experimental treatment and had not been approved for hair loss. You may want to go back to your Doctor and ask if maybe upping the dose of Avodart (since he prescribed it for you already) or getting on Finasteride may help. Most guys are on what we call the Big 3...

Rogaine 5%
Propecia 1 mg
Nizoral Shampoo 1% or 2%

You could also add topical spironolactone as I have done as well.

Hope this helps and welcome to HairLossTalk.com.

PLEASE_HELPME

Reaction score
PropeciaJunkie,

Thanks again, and my apologies for the "Caps" incident. I will avoid that in the future.

Can you give me an overview of "topical spironolactone"? Not sure what that is.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Hey no worries, here I copied this from another section of this site.

What is Topical Spironolactone?
Simply put, Propecia is the most potent hair loss treatment on the market today, but some guys either don't feel comfortable taking it, or they want even more power behind the punch. Topical Spironolactone (pronounced: spy-row-nolack-tone) can be considered a topical alternative, or addition to Propecia, but without any risk of side effects. Its a topically applied lotion or cream that works as an incredibly potent "androgen blocker". Whereas Propecia inhibits the creation of DHT, Topical Spironolactone also blocks DHT from binding to receptors and damaging your follicles. Using both Propecia and Topical spironolactone are a brilliant and intelligent multi-faceted way to completely protect your hair from further deterioration.

How does Topical Spironolactone work?
Remember that Propecia, as a "DHT Inhibitor" takes upwards of 1 to 2 years to show results. Topical Spironolactone is the same. The reason for this is simple: they're stopping further hair loss, and enabling your hair to restore itself. This takes many hair cycles, and will require your patience.

Hairs in certain areas of your scalp have been genetically programmed to become sensitive to DHT. Propecia blocks DHT from forming at all. Spironolactone blocks the remaining DHT from attaching to your follicles. Follicles develop receptor sites. DHT binds to those receptors and tells your body to begin rejecting the follicles. The reason for this isn't totally understood, but the solution is simple. Propecia stops DHT from forming, and Topical spironolactone stops DHT from attacking. It's a perfect solution. Even without Propecia, Topical spironolactone can do its job just fine.

Empire

Established Member
Reaction score

ClayShaw said:
You met an American quadriplegic?? Did you tell him to shut the f*ck up and be glad he didn't live in Gaza?

No.. but he said to me "I'm ok.. because at least I'm not blind".