pls critique my regimen

powersam

Reaction score
hey just would like some opinions on whether this regimen sounds reasonably sensible etc, all advice very welcome.

Avodart 0.5mg daily ( for first 10 days took 2mg a day)
spironolactone usually in the PM when possible also AM
MSM 4g twice daily

low GI diet , all simple carbs and sugars avoided.
eating as little food as possible
resistance exercise (pushups, situps) every second morning

definately gonna add a shampoo, most probably Nizoral

TB*

Reaction score
I think it is good - especially avo 0,5mg is the best base at the moment (if you have no problems with possible side effects) - So you have on the one side the inhibition of 5alpha-reductase (both enzymes I and II) with avo and on the other side topical a anti-androgen with spironolactone - so it is a good combination!!

A good addition would be something topical against inflammation - that is also very important! (I think nizoral is here not the best thing - only to relate to inflammation)

Kind regards,
TB*

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you want to add another topical, but if you do, you might consider a copper peptide, Tricomin or Folligen.

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
It's great! My opinion is for you to add Xandrox15, wich has 15% of minoxidil, that would stimulate your hair follicles, and azelaic acid, wich would help even more to stop DHT.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think the xandrox 15% is a little strong if just starting minoxidil.

My suggestion is to skip xandrox for now and wait to see if you get results from what you are currently doing. If nothing changes in 8 months to a year, then that's when you need to re-evaluate your situation and add items (xandrox)

You want to have more options for the long battle not the short one. Most of us don't have a lot of options left. :(

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Copper peptides enlarge the hair follicles and stimulate them to generate new cells, which promotes regrowth, according to Loren Pickart. Is there any evidence that this effect wears off over time, the same way that the effects of finasteride and minoxidil can wear off over time?

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
PowerSam said:
low GI diet , all simple carbs and sugars avoided.
eating as little food as possible

Trust me, this is a BAD idea. I never lost any noticeable hair in my lifetime until I went on the Atkins diet. After that, the floodgates opened and I had MASSIVE sheds for months. I lost 60 pounds, but with a price.

Cutting out so many carbs and eliminating sugar is fine, but don't get too hardcore. Balance is the key.

Also, eat at least the minimum amount of calories according to your age, height, frame, etc. There are many good charts online to help you figure this out. Eating too little calories causes nutritional deficiencies and forces your body to "eat" muscle mass.

When it comes to fighting male pattern baldness, crash/deprivation diets are one of the most unhealthy and demoralizing things you can do to yourself.

Hope this helps.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
Copper peptides enlarge the hair follicles and stimulate them to generate new cells, which promotes regrowth, according to Loren Pickart. Is there any evidence that this effect wears off over time, the same way that the effects of finasteride and minoxidil can wear off over time?

If any treament is used over a long period of time (years) the body kind of "adapts" to this treament, thus the effect is less.

I.e. If you drink 4 cups of coffee a day starting tomorrow. You will defiently notice a difference (duh). But keep doing this over a period of 4-5 years and you'll see an increase in consumption of coffee per day to keep that level of effectiveness that you had prior. Pretty much goes with everything. (drugs, alcohol, food, viruses ect ect..)

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Matgallis said:
mvpsoft said:

If any treament is used over a long period of time (years) the body kind of "adapts" to this treament, thus the effect is less.

I.e. If you drink 4 cups of coffee a day starting tomorrow. You will defiently notice a difference (duh). But keep doing this over a period of 4-5 years and you'll see an increase in consumption of coffee per day to keep that level of effectiveness that you had prior. Pretty much goes with everything. (drugs, alcohol, food, viruses ect ect..)
But we can't make an assumption that the effect of cu will diminish over time. Generalizations and analogies like the one you made only take us so far. The body adapts, the question is do the hair follicles enlarge for a time in the presence of cu but then stop enlarging. We don't know if that specific type of adaptation occurs.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
Matgallis said:
mvpsoft said:

But we can't make an assumption that the effect of cu will diminish over time. Generalizations and analogies like the one you made only take us so far. The body adapts, the question is do the hair follicles enlarge for a time in the presence of cu but then stop failing to enlarge. We don't know if that specific type of adaptation occurs.
Is there any evidence that would prove that the body doesn't adapt to cu, in regard sto enlarging the follical and promoting regroth?

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I emailed Pickart that question, and he said that the longest evidence they have goes back five years. He claims that there is no evidence of copper peptides ceasing to work to enlarge hair follicles in that time period.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying it will just plain stop dead in 4-5 years. The effectiveness level is what I am considered with.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's what I just said -- according to Pickart, there has been no loss of effectiveness in the five years that they've been testing.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Copper peptides could be a good replacement for minoxidil then, if after a certain amount of years it loses effectiveness.

Obviously there is no evidence as yet that C P loses effectivness, and if it does, it must take more than 5 years to do so. Maybe that stopped potential arguement?

powersam

Reaction score
temples- definately not hardcore, i get all the carbs i need in the porridge i have for breakfast, its not the atkins diet in any way , more based on trying to make sure my insulin levels arent higher than normal. i'm pretty much certain theres a correlation between insulin resistance and male pattern baldness,so i'm doing my best to get my blood sugar levels all hunky dory. after eating my sugar levels stay too high for a few hours, not diabetes but definately too much sugar in my blood. and i dont eat sugary food nor white bread etc

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
hey matgalis, it's rite that many substances lose their effect in the human body after a long time of using, but you cant generalize like this..

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
you should definitely not try to eat less.. cutting down on sugar is cool but you need some carbs in the day. eat a lot of protein and fiber also and add in a multivitamin.

you might be getting malnutrition but i dont know the exact amount of food that youre eating. heh

good luck

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
PowerSam> Sounds like you've got a good healthy diet goin' on there. Keep up the good work!

The only thing I caution against is getting too few calories. You're far better off to eat ABOVE the recommended caloric intake and work-out like a madman than to starve yourself.

Good luck on your journey!