PME's story - (trying to regrow/maintain - 30 yrs old)

PME

Reaction score
I used to have very thick hair as a teenager/young adult. No one has noticed any hairloss even today, but parting my hair makes it obvious that there is an issue (I usually comb it straight back). There is some temple recession, but it doesn't concern me much - the vertex and mid-scalp is what I really care about.

I started losing some hair around 20, but it wasn't an issue until I was 23 - I think I went through a major shed when I was 22, but my hair up front is pretty healthy, so I didn't notice. At 24, I started using rogaine and my hair was relatively stable for a few years.

At 28, my hair started getting a little worse and by 29, I realized that I had to start using propecia in order to have a chance at regrowth or real maintenance. I have been on rogaine foam for ~8 months and propecia for 3 months.

The switch to the foam ended my issues with dandruff and itchy scalp. On propecia, I don't know if I have experienced any side effects. My libido seemed very high for the first month and has since normalized. I started using 0.5 mg every other day for the first 2 weeks and then went to 0.5 mg/day for the next 2 weeks. After this initial 1-month period, I went to the full 1 mg/day regimen. I started using nizoral 1% last month 2x/week, but I'm not sure if it will do anything since it is the 1% version.

I have attached a picture comparing my hair beginning 2 weeks into treatment and onward. I have noticed a little progress in the last week or two, but I'll have to see in the next few months since it is very subtle if there is any true progress at all. The first pic was taken with an older camera - otherwise, I have tried to keep all other conditions as consistent as possible, although the natural lighting from the window may be different in each picture (all pics were taken with flash). I'll keep updating. [attachment=0:2p76uv2a]comparison.jpg[/attachment:2p76uv2a]

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,827

RaginDemon

Reaction score
your hair seems to be a little bit better

PME

Reaction score
thanks for the input - it's nice to have objective opinions.

it's only been 3 months, so i know i can't expect results at this point. however, i've taken dozens of pictures and the last few seem to show some subtle improvement. hopefully things will get better in the next few months.

i'm also wondering where i fit on the norwood scale or if anyone else has similar hairloss. i probably have an NW2 hairline, but my vertex and mid-scalp has diffuse thinning.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
take big 3 for a yr and evalue your changes, GL!

PME

Reaction score
Just a small update. The first picture is from today (1-12-08) and the second is from about 3 months ago (10-16-07). Been on propecia/rogaine foam since the beginning of September and added Nizoral 1% in November.

So far, it looks like the vertex is a little better, but the mid-scalp is still quite thin.

Attachments

• 10-16-07.JPG
    10-16-07.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 2,081
  • 1-12-08 (2).JPG
    1-12-08 (2).JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 2,083

30_going_on_60

Established Member
Reaction score
I definately see some improvement even though its only been 3 months. Seems like you might be a good responder. I started getting results in 3 months also. I started when I was 26, and after a year, it looked like I had no hairloss at all whatsoever. I didn;t even THINK about hairloss for 2 years. The meds DO work, although there's plenty of baggage attached ot them. If you;re satisfied with your hair now, you should get to keep that for a few years and possibly it could get much better (hopefully.) When I started, I also thought that propecia was the end of the line and I was just buying myself some time towards an age where its more acceptable. After spending some time on this board, I got to thinking, with all these medical advancements combined with the market potential of a hair regrowth product/operation, there may indeed be an alternative in the future. Check out some of the threads on the hair cloning board. Good luck!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
30_going_on_60 said:
I definately see some improvement even though its only been 3 months. Seems like you might be a good responder. I started getting results in 3 months also. I started when I was 26, and after a year, it looked like I had no hairloss at all whatsoever. I didn;t even THINK about hairloss for 2 years. The meds DO work, although there's plenty of baggage attached ot them. If you;re satisfied with your hair now, you should get to keep that for a few years and possibly it could get much better (hopefully.) When I started, I also thought that propecia was the end of the line and I was just buying myself some time towards an age where its more acceptable. After spending some time on this board, I got to thinking, with all these medical advancements combined with the market potential of a hair regrowth product/operation, there may indeed be an alternative in the future. Check out some of the threads on the hair cloning board. Good luck!

if you went from looking bald to looking perfectly normal in one yr, you are a good responder.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looks like you are regrowing your hair. I have done the big3 for a year, was on finasteride for five years before that, and all my regrowth has been in the last 12 months for the most part. With finasteride only it was more like I slowed the balding down, but didn't stop it or reverse it. I'm still wanting more crown coverage but at this point (age 40) I'm pretty happy.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
klink said:
Looks like you are regrowing your hair. I have done the big3 for a year, was on finasteride for five years before that, and all my regrowth has been in the last 12 months for the most part. With finasteride only it was more like I slowed the balding down, but didn't stop it or reverse it. I'm still wanting more crown coverage but at this point (age 40) I'm pretty happy.

at age of 40, thinning on the crown is VERY normal.

Hope your hair gets better man!