possible chemical reaction of spironolactone and minoxidil

CCS

Reaction score
I don't use spironolactone, but I've read posts by people that spironolactone smell OK by itself, but that if they mix it with minoxidil and leave it over night, it smell really bad.

I don't know if they were using rogaine or something like xandrox with many ingredients in it that could have reacted.

Anyway, we smell stuff because small amounts evaporate and the particles travel to our noses, so we get a small sample of the chemicals. Each has a different smell. It is possible that when spironolactone was dissolved in something else, it evaportated easier and that is why it was noticed, but the email seemed to imply that the new smell was different and worse, which tells me a new chemical was present. My concern here is that if either minoxidil or spironolactone reacted to something, people might not get the benifits of the active ingredients.

Could anyone who has smell these smells please elaborate on their differences and intensities and list the ingredients of their products so someone can figure out what happened here?

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use 5% minoxidil and then apply 5% spironolactone after 10-15 minutes. There is no odor. Both are from Dr. Lee