Possible future baldness in donor area

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I think I'm heading for at least a Norwood 5 when I'm older, even with the meds because they don't last forever. Just wondering where my donor area would be, because if you look at the pics I've posted (see signature), my hair looks to be thinning right into what I think is the donor area, or is it lower down?. The pics are with a flash, and my hair is still very short there but still...
Maybe it will not get worse than this pattern, and the thinning areas will just completely go bald in years to come.

Also my dad has got a sort of band of hair between the front and vertex, like a NW5 pattern, my diffuse pattern doesn't even seem to have this so I think I'm fooked!

Maybe I'm just fretting, but I don't think I'm going to be much of good candidate for a hair transplant even in a few years because even if the meds do halt the loss, i could end up having hairs that are affected by DHT transplanted.

Basically if the meds don't work I'm screwed!

Any thoughts?

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Give the meds at least six months. If you can take pictures of your head now and then wait the six months on the meds and then take more pictures. Compare them and then see if there was improvement or your hair loss has halted.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the reply
That's what I plan to do. Just got to be patient haven't I. :)
Just wondering though, does it look like my donor area is affected or is the donor area further down?
Also how does a surgeon know that they are transplanting hairs that are DHT resistant on a head like mine for example?

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
The safe zone is approximately where I drew the red line. In 99 out of 100 patients the safe zone is not subjected to DHT destruction. In rare instances there is a global diffuse hairloss. Your hairloss id advancing rapidly. Stick to the meds for now and see what happens in six months.

dsc01489.jpg

G

Stay on the meds for at least one year. The inhibition period for finasteride alone is 90 days, and then you want to give yourself at least another nine months to respond or not respond. Are you using minoxidil too?

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
hairtech said:
You see... the veteran posters concur. :)
:)

gillenator said:
Stay on the meds for at least one year. The inhibition period for finasteride alone is 90 days, and then you want to give yourself at least another nine months to respond or not respond. Are you using minoxidil too?
I just started using Rogaine foam today, had to wait for it to arrive. I'm on dutasteride btw since the loss is so aggressive, plus I'm 22.

G

Well keep us in the loop as to your progress, and whatever you do, DON"T GET A hair transplant!!!

Glad to see that you are taking the right initial steps in treating your male pattern baldness. :jump:

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I agree with the others, dont get a hair transplant just yet, stay on treatments for a yr.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
Update for everyone. Unfortunately I tried dutas 0.5mg a day for about 1.5 months and it started to give me lumps in my nipples. I can't really think of what else to do now apart from just shave it all off grade 0.5. :( I don't want to give up but I'm not prepared to mess about with aromatase blockers.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
No, i've gone down the route of self medicating.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
I talked to the Doctor about it, and basically they said that's one of the side effects, and there's not much you can do other than not take the drug. So I stopped taking it, and it's got a little better from using Nolvadex. That was about 4 months ago (I know I said I wouldn't use them but needs must.)

So what can I do now?
Take propecia and hope for the best?

G

If you start Propecia and have any sexual side-effects, of course let your Doctor know again. I know some have recommended to take it every other day or even every three days should it present any of these side-effects.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Is there any info about how that changes the effectiveness of the drug?

G

You're welcome easynow. To my knowledge there are no studies published that involve testing the efficiency when taken every other day or so. We do know that just about any drug will remain in the body before any of the residuals in the active ingredient leave. That's why I believe some docs advocate taking it every other or every third day should the side-effects be acute.

Everyone responds differently so many times they encourage you to find that balance between frequency of use without losing the effecacy of the drug's intended benefit.