possibly a dumb question about SawPalmetto

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
I know SP alone does jack sh*t for hair loss

i have this 180 pill bottle of SP that i bought before i knew any better or about the big three and the joys of finasteride

i was thinking of just finishing the bottle of SP by taking one 540mg pill a night
and continue to take my regular dosage of of 1.25mg finasteride every morning

SP is suppose to Inhibit a percentage of both forms of 5-alpha-reductase
the enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT)

while finasteride just inhibits a percentage of type 2 (approx 60%)

my logic is by taking SP at night and finasteride during the day
is that finasteride is normally effective for approx. 12 hours

and if i take a dosage of SP at night i could be covered during the night aswell

do you guys think this could hurt me in anyway or possibly be counter productive?

thanks in advance for your possible opinions

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
I take a finasteride pill during the day and a SP pill in the evening. I can't say I know if it's working or not, and I wouldn't be surprised if a proper study found out SP does jack squat. But, the pills were on sale and I figured I might as well try it. I'm not sure if it's in my head, but I do feel as if my sex drive has been a little bit lowered. So maybe it does have an effect? The sex drive thing isn't dramatic enough to make me feel worried though.

JDS 17

Reaction score
As I understand it finasteride reduces DHT for days as the body has to produce more type 2 5AR and this takes time. So while the serum half life is quite short the biological effect lasts longer. I'm pretty sure that DHT only rises slightly by day 2. There is a graph somewhere online that shows the effect on DHT over 7 days after one dose of finasteride at varying amounts. Maybe someone can post/link this.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think you are already inhibiting 5ar enough with the 1.25mg finasteride so shouldn't take the SP on top of that.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Possibly Zinc Picolinate inhibits DHT better than Saw Palmetto and it's way cheaper

rcom440

Reaction score
vauxall said:
Possibly Zinc Picolinate inhibits DHT better than Saw Palmetto and it's way cheaper

Crinagen topical contains Zinc Acetate Hydrate, Saw Palmetto extract, Azelaic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Vitamin B6 + other ingredients.

I'm thinking about buying it.