Post Fue Hair Care - Concerns Over Lost Grafts

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
8-9 days post my FUE I noticed that flakes and scabs were loosening on my scalp and so would start to gently massage my scalp. I noticed that along with the flakes, hairs would be attached. I never picked the scabs and there was never any pain or bleeding. By the end of day 9, virtually all scabs were removed.

I'm worried that I may have been too early in completing the removal process of flakes and scabs and perhaps should have waited for day 10-12. Or perhaps I should have let them come out on their own. I wanted to speed the process up a little since I needed to be back at work on day 10.

Should I be concerned that I may have lost grafts?

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is probably early shedding of the graft hairs and is normal. The grafts are usually set by the 5th day.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks both for the replies. I guess I'm just a little concerned and the fact I have to wait 6/12 months for results makes me anxious.

I've attached some images. Please take a look and let me know if all seems to be OK in your opinion. For those interested, I had 3,050 grafts with Dr Feriduni in Belgium. He was excellent and the team were great from start to finish. If anyone has any questions about his practice, let me know.

The first 3 images are post-op, later that night. The last 3 images are day 9 once 95% of the flakes/scabs had been removed. I had quite a bit of redness on the scalp, which I was advised about pre-op due to my light skin colour. I was also told that the redness on the sides of the scalp would be worse, due to the angle/method used to add the incisions/grafts.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2,368
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,512
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,178
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,186
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,421
  • Pic6.jpg
    Pic6.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,293
Last edited:

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The photos look good, a dense hairline and the angles look right. You should start losing the rest of the hairs as they fall into shock, then see growth in 3-4 months.

shookwun

Reaction score
All fine.

Grafts will begin to sprout around 10-12 weeks post operation

By 6-8 months all grafts will be done sprouting

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics pre-op.

Attachments

• Pic7.JPG
    Pic7.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 933
  • Pic8.JPG
    Pic8.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 933
  • Pic9.JPG
    Pic9.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 964

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks sunchyme1, I'll be sure to post monthly pics if people are interested. Yes, I'm on finasteride (1.25mg daily) and minoxidil (x2 daily). Restarted minoxidil 2 weeks post-op. Have you booked up a hair transplant?

Do you guys think that optimally I should have waiting for the crusts to fall from my scalp, or do you think it won't make any difference to the end result that I massaged/removed the crusts on days 8-9?

shookwun

Reaction score
The earlier you remove the scabs the faster you heal.

I would say you were to gentle and overly worried on the scabs.

By say 7 it's advised to start gently massaging the scabs after shampooing to remove them. They come off rather easy.

There is no reason why you should have scabs after 10-14 days. At this point ibqould say you have a poor washing texhnique.

Realistically after 3 days you would need a surgical instrument to dislodge the grafts. Do you realise how tiny of an incesion is made, we are talking a micro punch with a graft filled in. It ain't going no where.

I'm guessing this is your first transplant?

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
The crusts don't remove themselves, you need to gently rub them off. I was like you, over cautious and still had scabs until day 10. You wouldn't have lost any grafts. relax

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
The earlier you remove the scabs the faster you heal.

I would say you were to gentle and overly worried on the scabs.

By say 7 it's advised to start gently massaging the scabs after shampooing to remove them. They come off rather easy.

There is no reason why you should have scabs after 10-14 days. At this point ibqould say you have a poor washing texhnique.

Realistically after 3 days you would need a surgical instrument to dislodge the grafts. Do you realise how tiny of an incesion is made, we are talking a micro punch with a graft filled in. It ain't going no where.

I'm guessing this is your first transplant?

Thanks for the response. I feel a lot better about removing the crusts now.

Yes, this is my first hair transplant. I was told that I could get a max of 8,000 grafts with FUE so I'd be looking to have a future hair transplant if need be.

shookwun

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I feel a lot better about removing the crusts now.

Yes, this is my first hair transplant. I was told that I could get a max of 8,000 grafts with FUE so I'd be looking to have a future hair transplant if need be.
First of all you will never be able to extract 8000 fue alone without looking bald at the back of your head.

I believe even people such as @Wolf Pack have mentioned with dense donor areas that 6k is the upper limit. We are taking in consideration an amount that still leaves your back donor looking normal.

I have a thread on this in the transplant discussion from a credible doctor.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
OK thanks both. Guess I'll have 3000 grafts to play with should I need it down the line.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some images post-op, taken at the practice by the Dr. There is also one of the donor area.

Attachments

• DSC_5318.JPG
    DSC_5318.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 851
  • DSC_5319.JPG
    DSC_5319.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 850
  • DSC_5320.JPG
    DSC_5320.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 811
  • DSC_5321.JPG
    DSC_5321.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 858
  • DSC_5322.JPG
    DSC_5322.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 785
  • DSC_5323.JPG
    DSC_5323.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 815
  • DSC_5324.JPG
    DSC_5324.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 870

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to update until month 8, since I have kept my hair very short but I decided to take a few mobile pics, straight out of the shower - so my hair is dripping wet. I am currently on month 7 and my hair is only about an inch or so long.

The first set of pics (pics 5-6) are under normal lighting, closer up, whilst the second set (pics 1-3) are right under a bright living room light. There is no product or concealer in my hair.

You can see that there are a couple of small patches (left side & very center of forelock), where the hair is thinner, however I'm optimistic that this will thicken over the coming months (and I plan on having my hair at least 2/3 inches in length).

I will still post pics again in month 8 and onwards, or when I see improvement in density/ appearance.

Attachments

• pic5 (1).jpg
    pic5 (1).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 961
  • pic5 (2).jpg
    pic5 (2).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 880
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 878
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 897
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 877
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 887

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Posting with a comb down makes it a bit hard to assess but looks pretty good density wise. Will thicken up a touch in the coming months. I think your temple corners and points he didn't do a great job on in terms of design. It's manageable though.

My avatar is at 16 months. Felt I got a kick after 12 months. But could be finasteride, derma rolling

Thanks for the response.

I will post some better pics in the coming months, with my hair up and dry - I want to have longer hair in the pics. The pics are at month 7, which I read is about 60-70% of the final density. I'm really hoping it will thicken a decent amount. Month 6 to 7 shot up in density, it was crazy. I'm hoping for more of the same, up until month 9-10. Then I think the final few months are more about textual changes, etc. What do you think, Wolf Pack?

Also, how do you mean re the design of the hairline/temple points? I'm just curious. I think he gave me a NW1.5/2, which believe it or not, was my original hairline - just always had a high hairline/big forehead.