Post Surgery Questions, Comments, Concerns

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a 2500 strip graft session performed on Friday by Dr. Grant Koher of High Point, NC on Friday. The session lasted the better part of the day as I arrived at 9:00 for Pre-Op procedures. I would guess the actual surgical procedure began around 10:00-10:30 and lasted, with some breaks included, until about 6:30 PM. The recipient area basically included my entire scalp, concentrated more in the frontal area and less in the crown.

I drove home. The Doctor and his assistants mentioned to me that I was a bit "oozier" than most patients. I noticed when I arrived home that I had bled some into the medical cap provided me. This stopped shortly after arriving home.

Yesterday, Saturday, I honestly didn't feel that much discomfort. My scalp in the donor area around the sutures felt very tight and unnatural, but the recipient area had no discomfort at all. I washed my hair for the first time, gently patting shampoo into the scalp in the recipient area and making gentle circles along the donor area as instructed by the Doctor. As the day and night wore on it felt as though some of the tightness was going away.

Today, Sunday I slept late and may just stay in all day. I have noticed that my donor area and back and side scalp feels very tight today. I believe this is due to swelling, which I just noted when looking in the mirror. If someone did not know me, they would not see it, however, I can that my forehead and temples are swolen somewhat. My head looks like a big old "noggin" right now.

I have two great concerns for the coming days. For some reason, I am very concerned about my donor area becoming infected. Dr. Koher gave me a short supply of an antibiotic, but I may call his office tomorrow to see if I can get a slighty prolonged supply. I was also given a Copper Peptide solution to spray upon the recipient area to promote healing, but no mention was made about the donor area other than washing it.

Also, that brings me to a question. Do any of you folks have advice for treating the donor area during the post-op period?

My other concern is this. I return to work Monday. My hair is short and I didn't grow it long enough to cover the donor scar or sutures. I thought it would grow quicker than it did. Anyway, the combination of my recipient areas thousands of scabs and the massive sutures in my back and side scalp make me look like "Frankenstein's Monster." I work as a Supervisor at a manufacturing facility and normally wear a hat, so that is what I will continue to do. However, I like to joke around with folks, and this they like to joke around with me. I fear that someone will grab my hat or something causing me to lose some grafts or expose my currently mangled head, which would be very embarrassing. Fortunately, I am working with a very reduced crew for the next week, so that lessens the number of people I will be in contact with a great deal. However, I have considered telling the HR manager that I had an outpatient surgery recently and that I am somewhat disfigured just to let someone there know the situation. He is bound by privacy and medical laws so I am not concerned about him telling others there. I just want someone to know. I also wish I had planned to take some time off for this.

Another comment I have about this. I have literally told no one about this. Not my parents, sister, close friends, etc. I didn't realize just how difficult this would be to hide post-op. I work second shift so I don't have a lot of contact with alot of my friends, family, etc for much of the week anyway. Still, I will be very glad for my hair near the donor area to grow enough to hide the sutures and for the sutures to come out. Honestly, if I could fast forward about six months or just stay at home for the next six months, I would be very happy.

I just wanted to share my thoughts and see if they were normal or not.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Just keep your donor scar clean by pouring water over it from a cup and sleeping on clean pillows.

hair transplant on friday and returning to work monday. :freaked: What were you thinking !! You should have done more research. I just had 5 weeks off after a hair transplant and I wish I could've gotten more.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the donor scar. I have been washing it by gently making circles of shampoo over and then rinsing it by pouring lukewarm/cool water over it. I plan on using my medical cap at night.

I had thought that since my job is not very labor intensive it would not be a huge issue. I wish now that I had planned for some time off, just to have some time away from "people." I plan on calling my HR manager tomorrow to inform that I have had an outpatient surgery and that if I have any complications I may have to be out for a while.

Anyway, are any of my thoughts, reactions, etc. abnormal? Anyone else feel paranoid about appearance directly after the surgery?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yes pretty natural, but the most concern will be over hair graft growth. When, how much etc etc...

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am sure that will eventually be the case. Right now I am just paranoid about someone seeing me if I am in public without a hat.

I guess I'll start worring about the grafts growing in good after I get over this initial post-op stage.

BTW, swelling has continued. My temples and forehead look very puffy. I visited my parents today with a cap on and they didn't even notice, however.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Swelling lasts about 5 days sometimes its barely noticible but sometimes it can make you look like the elephant man. You really should have booked time off, unless you can wear a hat at all times when others are around for the next few weeks people are going to notice something.

WebBubba

Reaction score
It gets a lot better after the first 10 days or so. I had some puffiness around my eyes from swelling and generally felt crappy for a few days, and my head was rather uncomfortable until the staples were taken out. But then after that I was able to be in public with a hat no problem. But that first week after recovery was definitely not my favorite. Good luck with returning to work and happy healing!

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and advice guys. I agree now about the work thing. I left my HR manager a message on his voice mail just giving him a brief, but vague message about the situation and told him to call me here at home tomorrow. If I suffer from any extreme swelling I will not being going to work. Right now my swelling has come down some on the forehead but has increased below the temples.

I think I will feel a lot better when the sutures come out. I am hoping my scar will not be too visible.

Also, my recipient area is already itching. I hope this means the healing is already beginning. The donor area feels itchy as well.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, and this is just a question out of curiousity, but why does increasing blood pressure significantly risk damaging the grafted area's yield?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Immeadiatly post op it can cause the grafts to come out and exercise can cause the scar to stretch before its healed properly.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks again.

My swelling seems to have gone down today somewhat. I am still trying to sleep somewhat upright to help ease the swelling. I have actually also been trying to sleep on my side to an extent so that my donor area doesn't become irritated.

The things that are irritating are concern that someone will notice my current state of disfigurement and not being able to "do stuff" that I normally wouldn't give a second thought to.

How long do I need to refrain from hard physical activity? My doctor said one week but I have heard anywhere from two-three weeks in other places before.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Immeadiatly post op it can cause the grafts to come out and exercise can cause the scar to stretch before its healed properly.

I can definitely understand about the donor scar stretching. It seems like I feel it every time I even move my head or yawn.

s.a.f

Reaction score
dd11856 said:
How long do I need to refrain from hard physical activity? My doctor said one week but I have heard anywhere from two-three weeks in other places before.
It depends what you want to do, after 1 week you could go jogging or do light sports but I would'nt do anything really strenuous for at least a couple of weeks.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the exact same boat as you right now. Except that my hair transplant is scheduled for March. I'm able to get about 20 days off work and more if really necessary. I really don't want anyone to know. Not my family and especially not my friends so I've devised a careful plan of telling my friends and family I'm going away and spending the bulk of the recovery period at a close relative's house who will of course know about the procedure. It's going to be tough.

I understand your concern though and your thinking right now is completely normal. I don't blame you for wanting to fast forward the next six months. You're lucky where you can wear a hat, but it's still going to be tough. Good luck with everything buddy. I know right now it's not easy but try to look at the big picture, you got the worst part over with and now it's just a matter of waiting.

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, work went ok. I really should have taken at least a few days off this week, though. I really didn't realize how worn down I was until I had to get back on my feet some.

I did speak to my HR manager today before work and inform him that I had had a "cosmetic surgery" and that I wouldn't be up to full speed for a while. He was really cool about it.

This is the end of day three post op. I am beginning to feel my grafted area of scalp now, especially right on top in the mid-scalp area. Doesn't hurt. But, it feels kind of numb and kind of bruised at the same time, but only when I move my head so that it flexes that area. Is that normal?

Right now, I'll just be glad to get these sutures out!

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
End of day four post-op and I will be so glad to get these sutures out! Also, DANG my grafted area itches!

Swelling down a lot today. Hopefully that has passed.