Prelude's Story - (Pics; 4 year update 08.29.10)

Prelude

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I’m a 27 years old male from Switzerland and –surprise- having problems with my hair.

It started around the age of 19-20 with temporal thinning but the rest of my hair was still thick. So I wasn’t doing anything against it. Over the last years it got a little bit worse; my temples increased but not that much. To be honest, I don’t care about them as they fit me pretty well. I never had a straight hairline, maybe that’s why they don’t disturb me.

Unfortunately in the last 1-1.5 years I’ve noticed some diffuse thinning in the front area (the rest of my hair is still in a good shape, no crown/vertex thinning) and that’s pretty annoying as it means “see through†under some light conditions (ex. diffuse elevator light or heavy sunshine) To address that, I bought some Minoxidil (Regaine 2%) but I had to quit after only 7 days because I seem to react allergic against it. Had horrible itchiness over my whole body and red rash down to my feet. Not to speak of my scalp. I actually had to cool it down with ice, it felt like on fire. Now, 5 days after, the horror is over.

The only alternative now seems to be Finasteride & Nizoral. Of course I’m looking for Proscar and split it into fifths (found a helpful picture in this forum for that). Right now I’m running after a prescription for that, because most doctors here want to give me Propecia (which they all have in stock –no wonder).
Quite many people say that finasteride doesn’t help in the front. Not even for maintaining what I have left?
On the other hand everyone reacts different so I’m willing to give that a try. Even thicken up some existing hairs would be an improvement. Regrow would be a nice bonus but I’m not expecting that to happen. :freaked2:

Here some pictures of my hair.

Good grow all. I’ll keep you informed on progress.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think you are comfortable with your hairline. In case you are not, I think you have great hair and the messy look ( hair combed front and kindaa messy ) will easily cover your balding...BTW...I believe your hair looks great

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
I rekon propecia is the go.

If you can't get a prescription for proscar, there's plenty of online options... all teh best mate good to hear you have done some research as this will make all your decisions wise and you'll get results.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
i ummed and arrred about my hairloss and what i should do about it for ages - after being on finasteride and rogaine for almost 2 years now - I wish i had started sooner. If it worries you, do the most you can to prevent or slow it down now, better than regretting it down the track.

1PunchBob

Reaction score
To Prelude.....think your hair looks fine, but was wondering where you read about and saw on this forum about cutting up tablets into quarters or fifths as i would like to find out more aswell? Hope you can e-mail back into the forum soon.... Cheers :D

Prelude

Reaction score
Thanks for your kind replies.

I'm now on Proscar (took first piece 10 Minutes ago). I simply went into the pharmacy and told my story. The chief-pharmacist had a look on my head, told me about possible side effects and recommended the Nizoral-Shampoo as well. Exactly what I wanted. So I got 2 drugs (usually both need a prescription) without any troubles at all. I really wasn't expecting this to be so easy.

Here are some more photos of my hair. This time without flash so the diffuse thinning is actually more visible.

For 1PunchBob

Good luck all

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Prelude said:
Thanks for your kind replies.

I'm now on Proscar (took first piece 10 Minutes ago). I simply went into the pharmacy and told my story. The chief-pharmacist had a look on my head, told me about possible side effects and recommended the Nizoral-Shampoo as well. Exactly what I wanted. So I got 2 drugs (usually both need a prescription) without any troubles at all. I really wasn't expecting this to be so easy.

Here are some more photos of my hair. This time without flash so the diffuse thinning is actually more visible.

Good luck all

Hi. I think your hairline shows that you are in the first phase of balding; i don' t think your hairline looks fine. Your hair is okay but the hairline is not in the right place. :)
You have a solid piece of luck taking proscar without prescription.
I don' t think it is possible in Italy.
What are you trying to replace minoxidil?

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hailine looks great so far, but I can understand your problem and why you'd be worried. My hair looks like it's recessed a lot and I'm constantly checking the mirror and getting depressed over it.

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
primex, you dont look bald, you're probably the only one that notices it except maybe other balding people who are checking out other people's hairlines so there is no need to be depressed.

Chadman

Reaction score
I agree that most people probably wouldn't even make a point of acknowledging any hairloss. It might be different if you were 16 of course, but at 27 you're at a good age where a mature hairline is expected and, if I might so humbly admit, attractive.

That said, I had your hairline about 4 years ago. It's gone now!! lol. I used to do the same thing you did. I'd pull back the hair and think, "How far back does it go?!" I was worried about recession and not about thinning.

Anyway, I'd take care of it now so that you can maintain what you've got for as long as possible, because imo, it will quickly get to a point where people will notice if the front starts to thin.

Good luck!

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Chadman said:
I agree that most people probably wouldn't even make a point of acknowledging any hairloss. It might be different if you were 16 of course, but at 27 you're at a good age where a mature hairline is expected and, if I might so humbly admit, attractive.

That said, I had your hairline about 4 years ago. It's gone now!! lol. I used to do the same thing you did. I'd pull back the hair and think, "How far back does it go?!" I was worried about recession and not about thinning.

Anyway, I'd take care of it now so that you can maintain what you've got for as long as possible, because imo, it will quickly get to a point where people will notice if the front starts to thin.

Good luck!

Well...yes... for sure it would be a big goal for Prelude to mantain his current hairline. That hairline shows the beginning of balding. So it is a temprary hairline that can be maintained only getting finasteride and minoxidil i think.

Prelude

Reaction score
Hello again

My first box of Proscar is almost empty now so it's time for a little update, as promised.

So far it is a bit disapointing to be honest. As I wrote, I'm not really exprecting regrowth and surely not after only 3.5 months on a longterm therapy. But I was hoping for less hairloss since it is really annoying having quite many hairs on my shoulders all the time.
So far, my situation is unchanged. No reduction in hairloss. It's the same amount as before Proscar.

Anyway, there is no visible decrease so I don't complain. My status is too good to be seriously worried but not good enough to be 100% satisfied. But I'm looking forward.

As for sides: Absolutely zero.

My best wishes & good luck.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
prelude u definately blow dry ur hair :D

but your hair looks fine for a 27 year old, but i can see its thinnig in the front.. i think the texture of ur hair as well makes it noticeable..you have finer hair, very straight and light. but overall youre not in bad shape.

Prelude

Reaction score
Re: Fresh meat - (Pics)

Greetings everyone.

I hope everybody is doing alright.
It's now somewhat over 4 years since I've started with my regimen (which is still the same by the way) and therefore my results could be interesting to some of you.

First some recent pictures (all pics were made with light from top):

Maximum frontal expose

Right temple

Left temple

Front with flash

Front wet close up

Fortunately, my old pictures are still available (see post 1), so you can decide whether my status has improved, halted or deteriorated. I personally think I've slightly improved, so Finasteride did it's job on my front. I hope it will continue to.
As for the rest of my hair, there are still absolutely zero signs of loss, so I'm probably somewhat "lucky" with my kind of hair loss.

The myth that Finasteride does not work on the front is clearly busted. After over 4 years of usage of the drug I allow myself that judgement.

Things I've observed over time:

- I always lose much more hair during summer than during winter. Of course, this sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable. However, since my status does not deteriorate during these periods, I consider this as normal seasonal shedding.

- My scalp is greasier on the front than anywhere else.

- I do not suffer from any side effects.

I hope my posting provides useful informations or even some encouragement for some of you.

My best wishes for all of you.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Your hairline is looking a lot better and Propecia indeed works well on receders.Great to hear that you dont have any sides...

ivangennaro

Established Member
Reaction score

Man, you don't have diffuse thinning. It's normal to see some scalp with your hair raised, combed backwards, flash-on and wet. Plus, the zoom of the camera. You got some badass camera over there :D I guess hairline is the only problem of yours; which is pretty normal for a person who's 31. I'd love to have your hair when I'm 31, though I'm a 19 year old normal NW1 now.

BTW, hairline looks definitely better. finasteride did the maintainance. You shouldn't have expected to return to a NW1 hairline from a NW3. I guess it's a return to a Norwood 2.5. Which is more than enough :)

Petchsky

Reaction score
Re: Fresh meat - (Pics; 4 year update 08.29.10)

Thanks for taking the time to come back and update, hair has held very well :)