Preventing Future Hair Loss In The Early Years

FifteenGenerations

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

A little background history. I'm 24 and since June of this year my hair has been shedding more than I've ever noticed it before. Hair on the desk, in the sink whilst brushing my teeth, etc. Initially I shrugged it off as summer shedding and carried on thinking it would end. 7 Months on, still much the same.

What's confusing is my hairline doesn't seem to be moving and my crown seems normal.

I've visited three doctors, along with blood tests, explaining I have strong genetics for baldness in my family with most of the men in my family balding or completely bald by 40.

Without trying to override my Doctor's opinions that it was shedding caused through worrying about going bald I asked for a prescription of Finasteride. I was told told clearly by all 3 doctors that they wouldn't prescribe Finasteride and guaranteed it would make me impotent.

Despite what they said, I still want to prevent any future hair loss with Finasteride. The scare stories of finasteride side effects don't discourage me and they seem to be hyped in the UK, but that's not to any disrespect to anyone suffering with sides. We all react differently.

Should I start taking it now to hopefully prevent any future hair loss? I asked to be referred to a dermatologist to get it diagnosed but they refused.

Thanks to all who read this,

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
B

Bernard Yong

While I did suffer from some side effects (sex related) from my use of Finastride, I wouldn't say that it is guaranteed.

I did take it continuously for 5 years, which is a pretty long period of time. And these side effects apparently affect only a minority of users.

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im 22 waiting for brotzu lotion to come out until February if no news I will start finasteride then

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are happy with your current hair and your only problem is increased I would reccomend not taking finasteride.

People can go through periods of increased shedding regardless of having Androgenetic Alopecia.

At least wait until you see some harm to your hair.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are happy with your current hair and your only problem is increased I would reccomend not taking finasteride.

People can go through periods of increased shedding regardless of having Androgenetic Alopecia.

At least wait until you see some harm to your hair.
I couldn't disagree more. Finasteride works best as a preventative, and the earlier the intervention, the more hair you save and the longer you get to keep your hair

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more. Finasteride works best as a preventative, and the earlier the intervention, the more hair you save and the longer you get to keep your hair

Yes but if he uses it as soon as he notices any deterioration his hair will still be great, whereas if he uses it now and isn't actually balding he's risking sides and wasting money.