Propecia and Shedding - Please help a newbie

gwuc4

Reaction score
Hi I'm in my early 20s and just filled my Propecia order for the first time recently. But I haven't starting taking it. I'm worried about two things, I'm in the "very early" stages of thinning according to the dermatologist i saw.

1) How bad is the shedding likely to get? I know there's no way to really give an answer to that but, what is the worst case scenario? Would someone that would say "you're thinning" instead say "OMG you're going bald!" - would it be that noticeable? Or is it more likely that the total impact is something like, if you shed 20 hairs a day, you'll be shedding 30 for the first 3 months?

2) When is it likely for the shedding to start? For example, after 1st 3 weeks (and last until the end of the first 3 months?)?

I know it probably sounds like I'm asking very concrete questions but I'm really just looking for some "direction" in terms of what I should expect. :lost: Please help! I am worried. Thanks all!!!

Some info on my hair - I've always had fine hair (texture wise) with a sort of natural perm...for whatever that is worth. I also have high temples - if that's the right term - think Daniel Craig's temples.

Reaction score
It works differently for each person. Some don't shed at all. Some shed a few months into it. Some shed right away. Same thing about the amount of shedding. It can be anywhere between 0-400/day. There's no way of knowing before hand how your body is going to respond to it.

I myself noticed shedding 5 days into it, and have been shedding 300/day up until now (a month in).

TheBigThree

Reaction score
Yea nobody here is going to be able to give you a definite answer to any of your questions as we all can react to the drug differently. You may shed, or you may not shed at all, you may also get side effects, or none at all. Nobody here can predict anything. Just keep taking your medicine and see what happens.

Libido

Established Member
Reaction score
A lot of people experience crazy sheds around month 4.

But then I lot of people dont, as well.

ComeOnPropy

Established Member
Reaction score
lols. This shedding thing drives me crazy. Its like you take the pill then you find out. lols its almost like daring us to try just to see what happens

pyro16

Reaction score
im also going to start treatments, in the above cases, did u notice the difference when you started to shed, or did you only know because of the amounts of hairs on the floor?

thanks

Nighthair

Established Member
Reaction score
My experience with finasteride is that I shedded as i always do before I start treatment but I am noticing some hairline regrow. I am going for a NW2 to a NW1.

riotboy123

Reaction score
I'm at about 2.5 months in. I was shedding a bit in the beginning but at around the 7-8 week mark I started shedding like crazy and i still am to an extent.. although not as bad i think..

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It depends on how aggressive your hair loss is before you start finasteride. The amount of hair effected by DHT at that moment will shed and more healthier stronger hairs will emerge. Finasteride basically pushes the older , finer hairs out and replaces them with strong, healthy hair.

So really it depends how fast you are losing it. If you lost a lot within a short timeframe then your shed will be bigger because there will be more DHT effected hair so there will be more effected hair falling out at the same time.

Deathcab

Reaction score
So is finasteride. pretty much a must in battling hairloss? And what exactly does it do? Block DHT?

Sorry about all these beginner questions.
Deathcab

upthere

Reaction score
pyro16 said:
im also going to start treatments, in the above cases, did u notice the difference when you started to shed, or did you only know because of the amounts of hairs on the floor?

thanks

That's something I'd like to know the answer to as well.

More important, did other people notice?

okman

Reaction score
I have a question for the experts:

If you are losing hair to begin with, then you start using propecia or minoxidil and you continue shedding, will the hairs only grow back if you continue to use the drugs? lets say the initial hair loss was due to TB, and you jumped the gun on the drugs, could the hairs lost to drug shedding be regrown naturally if you quit using the drugs?