Propecia and Shedding

aristotle

Reaction score
Hi I have gotten my propecia pills but before I start using them I'm worried about the shedding aspect of it. How bad does it get?

My doctor actually said that it would not occur but then he was with me for about 15-25 minutes and went to another patient (that was probably getting a transplant) so I'm not sure about trusting him.

Anyway, any comment really is helpful. Please help me, as I am in the very early stages and can do something. thanks all.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Not everyone sheds, it just depends on the person. I had a brief shed for a few weeks and then it stopped. Everyone reacts differrent.

aristotle

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, first off.

The doctor said that quoting verbatim here, "there's no shedding" and "you'll be fine". But I just feel like he sort of ditched me to go to another patient after 15-25 minutes...so I don't know should I get another opinion? But that would mean having to hear that I'm in the "very early stages of thinning" again. I'm not at all the-easily-scared type really, but my hair has always been the one thing I'm really sensitive about for whatever reason (I'm sure alot of guys here know what I mean).

Any advise is really appreciated!!! Thanks in advance (seriously please reply to this ).

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean about the Doctors. They are in a rush for your money and have you in and out in 15 minutes to move on to another patient. Listen, you may shed and you may not but that is part of Propecia, it is "kicking" out the old DHT affected hair to regrow thicker new ones. I honestly had most of my regrowth from Minoxidil, the only problem is minoxidil effects are somewhat temporary from my experience. I was a thinning NW2 and after minoxidil for 2 years I went to a somewhat thick NW1 but after 2 years the effects started to taper and quickly too so I went on Propecia to maintain and try to rethicken. So far it has been almost 5 years and I am a little thinner in the front but overall am very happy. I consider maintaining a success story and wish you well with whatever decision you make. I would also advise you to read the SUCCESS STORY forum and see the guys that had success. Alot of them include pictures also. I hope I answered your questions but if not I am sure you will receive alot of other responses or you can just PM me if you want. Good luck to you.

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
then, around the 11th to 16th week, there can be sudden shedding, sometimes on a massive scale. The entire phenomenon fits the description of a telogen effluvium.

this freaks me out. Today = 1st day of week 10.