Propecia and weight gain

NHLfan

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm 28 and have been on Propecia for 6 weeks now with some sides. Went totally limp at 10 days, but my libido bounced back a couple weeks later.

Now I've noticed that I've been packing on the pounds like it's going out of style. 13 pounds in just over a month! I haven't made any changes to my lifestyle and my weight has been very stable for the past 7-8 years. Now I've got a ring of belly fat that definitely wasn't there before and my pecs look a little flabby too. I workout 3+ times a week with cardio and I watch what I eat, so this isn't due to laziness. I noticed that I had less energy in the 1st few weeks so I'm guessing that my metabolism has gone down.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this weight gain temporary? Does your metabolism bounce back as your body adjusts? Please give me some good news!!! I so want this to work.

Cheers...

fallicule

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, alot of people (or enough) experience this. I experienced (am experiencing) almost exactly what you went through. I lost my labido right away, now it seems to be back, and i'm also gaining weight. I excercise regularly which helps it. I would recomend cutting down on carbs past 6:00 pm and try and eat lighter. Cardio is what really seems to keep my weight from jumping up, that and eating really shitty foods like tuna fish :x . I have no idea how long these side effects last or if they'll ever stop. Good luck, i'm in a similar boat.

juststarting

Established Member
Reaction score
fallicule said:
Yeah, alot of people (or enough) experience this. I experienced (am experiencing) almost exactly what you went through. I lost my labido right away, now it seems to be back, and i'm also gaining weight. I excercise regularly which helps it. I would recomend cutting down on carbs past 6:00 pm and try and eat lighter. Cardio is what really seems to keep my weight from jumping up, that and eating really shitty foods like tuna fish :x . I have no idea how long these side effects last or if they'll ever stop. Good luck, i'm in a similar boat.

Actually, this eating time of day stuff is a myth (aka don't eat before bed, causes more weight gain is b.s.). Cut the carbs, time of day makes no difference :)

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
I put on 15 pounds in 3 month on Propecia. I lift steadily at the gym and have a very solid muscle base. It's the Propecia. Guess you just have to kick up the cardio.

NHLfan

Reaction score
So has anyone witnessed their metabolism bounce back?

I'm still hoping that this weight gain is just something that happens in the inital stages. I almost had a six pack, and now I'm heading towards a keg!

I tend to eat really well (whole grains, lean meats and lots of fruits and veggies) so it looks like I might have to increase my cardio and try to slow the weightloss. I'm also taking green tea supplements (which is rumored to help the hair, but is really good for you anyways and increases your metabolism) so hopefully that will kick in for the hair and for the gut

Cheers...

/fatguy

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I sure have gained a lot of fat since starting finasteride. My theory is that it is due to the feminizing effects of the drug. Most people here will tell you that weight/fat gain is not a side effect of finasteride at all but that's bullshit. A significant amount of people will gain fat/weight while on finasteride.

Keep in mind that most people WON'T have this problem, though.

NHLfan

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Looks like I'll have to increase my cardio and maybe cut down on some carbs and hope my gut and tits stop growing.

Cheers