Propecia - Can it cause scalp itching ?

misterium

Reaction score
I'm a little into my 3rd month of Propecia.

(I'm about to be 27 yrs. old. Noticed Crown/vertex thinning almost a year ago, good hairline/temples, no visible bald spots.)

I don't use anything else, as far as DHT prevention goes. Tried a few bottles of minoxidil a few months back, too irritating .. so I stopped many weeks ago.

I spray Folligen sometimes, but I'm going to cut it down to a few times a week instead of daily, in order to see what exactly it is that is causing my scalp itchiness.

Is it possible for Finasteride to cause itching ?

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride can cause both skin excessive dryness and oilyness. Dry skin can be itchy. If that's the culprit, use a good conditioner often (good=expensive). Also I understand emu oil is very soothing for irritated scalp. As far as folligen goes, some who have had problems with irriation from folligen switched to tricomin, which is less potent and contains soothing menthol, with satisfactory results.

MH

bombscience

Reaction score
I spent 3 months on only Finasteride and my scalp itched as well.

Nizoral shampoo seems to help reduce this for me when used 3 times a week. I also use folligen sometimes, but in the lotion/creme form as it less harsh.

Finally there are other options if you wish to use Minoxidil. Dr. Lee has a 5% solution with a less irritating/faster drying forumla. He also sells a PG-Free solution to those who have allergic reactions to Propylene Glycol.