Propecia, dutasteride, then what?

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
I tried Propecia for a year, and it did nothing. I've been on dutasteride for over a year and a half to no demonstrable effect thus far. Am I pretty much screwed? I'm not on minoxidil, but even if I started that it doesn't inhibit hair loss. I'm also on Revivogen, but I'm pretty sure it's not doing anything for me. Any ideas or suggestions?

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
You were still losing your hair on both finasteride and dutasteride or maintaining?

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
might be that your hair loss is just too strong. how old r u and what Norwood?

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would definitly throw Minoxidil into your every day regimen...it can only help and you never know...maybe you'll be a really good responder and regrow a crazy amount of hair.

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
Fallout Boy said:
I would definitly throw Minoxidil into your every day regimen...it can only help and you never know...maybe you'll be a really good responder and regrow a crazy amount of hair.

minoxidil wont stop the balding process like finasteride or dutasteride however...my advice to u: stay on dutasteride or finasteride and add other things like copper peptides, saw palmetto, maybe minoxidil to the mix...good luck

G

id add spironolactone to balding areas before i tried anything else just to try to stop the loss.

maybe spironolactone + copper peptides to start then adding minoxidil later.

and stay on dutasteride. without it you'd prob be balding way faster.

CCS

Reaction score
skip the saw palmetto. it stinks, is expensive, and weak. get oleic acid for $17 per gallon at http://www.chemistrystore.com before trying saw palmetto.

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
MPBWarrior said:

I'm 26; no Norwood, I'm a diffuser. It still looks pretty decent, but I'd like to make it to 30...

G

Doug Douglas said:
MPBWarrior said:

I'm 26; no Norwood, I'm a diffuser. It still looks pretty decent, but I'd like to make it to 30...

diffusers can be norwoods.

CCS

Reaction score
does not sound like you would have a strong hair loss, then. whole year, and still losing.

Felk

Reaction score
Also, since it's not typical pattern loss, you may be losing your hair due to another reason. The fact that neither finasteride or dutasteride worked for you might suggest DHT is not the culprit...

Look into thyroid, insulin levels, any medication you're on, diet, etc.

Dutasteride inhibits 98% of type 2 5AR, and if that didn't work I doubt blocking DHT with something else will be particularly effective. I'd still recommend a topical antiandrogen or DHT inhibitor though, just to be safe.

Also a copper peptide or minoxidil would be a good addition. People think DHT is the one and only thing to worry about with hair loss, but if you approach it from different angles you are much more likely to be successful.

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been using Revivogen, which is supposed to be a kind of inhibitor (but is probably just snake oil). I had my thyroid tested in '03 to see if my loss could be attributed to that, but there was nothing wrong with it. Anyway, it looks like it's either minoxidil or the highway for me...ugh, I dread more shedding...