Propecia every other day!

viperfish

Reaction score
How do you guys feel about propecia every other day. I think this is gotta be better than cutting pills. Propecia stays within the body, I believe for 48 hours, so taking a pill every other day (1 mg) should suffice. Also could it be possible that the body would take longer to build up a tolerance of the finasteride if you took it every other day. Maybe it would work for a longer period of time??

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
I think propecia has a half-life of only five to six hours so I'd imagine that a daily dose is needed to maximize its efficacy. Also, don't worry about building up a tolerance to finasteride, it's the progressive nature of male pattern baldness (with time the body produces higher levels of DHT or your follicles become more sensitive to it) that makes finasteride unable to hold off further hair loss.

Slarti

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
My guess based on pharmacokinetics is that it would work. But until some one actually does a study of it, it is just a guess.

need_hair04

Reaction score
what are you guys saying, that the DHT that Propecia holds off simply begins to produce more DHT BECAUSE of propecia, or would the body simply do this itself even if it were not on Propecia in the first place??

I guess this would make sense since people in their late 30's early forties and so on tend to loose their hair, obviously very slowly but nonetheless!!

BUT if this is the case then why do they say that after 30 the body tends to produce less and less DHT??? doesn't make sense but it is obviously the reason why older people loose their hair at a very slow rate!!

viperfish

Reaction score
Do you think that finasteride could cause the body to eventually make more 5AR as a result of finasteride inhibiting it?? So that when finasteride use is terminated the degree of hairloss would be much much worse and faster.

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Propecia or finasteride stays in your body about 4 days until it's complete out. I know there were study done with only .5MG of finasteride and show that it did help keep hair. If you want to save money than start using Proscar instead. If you want to use Propecia than cut it in half and take .5MG a day instead of skipping one other day.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
need_hair04 said:
what are you guys saying, that the DHT that Propecia holds off simply begins to produce more DHT BECAUSE of propecia, or would the body simply do this itself even if it were not on Propecia in the first place??
I'd say it's the latter. When you start to bald it's the areas with the highest sensitivity to DHT that are affected (typically the temples and crown) but, if no treatment is taken, the balding process will gradually spread over your entire scalp. To miniaturize follicles that had been unaffected by DHT levels which had caused, for example, frontal loss the body must be producing more DHT, unless those follicles have become more sensitized to it.

Slarti

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
even distribution?

if the amount of the chemical finasteride is evenly distributed within each 1 mg, I would think taking 0.5mg per day would be better than 1mg every 48 hours. Given it's half-life and the fact that 0.5 is found to suppress nearly as much DHT as 1 mg.

Question is, is one half of 0.5 really equal to the other?