Propecia, help!!

martin23

Reaction score
I've recently started taking propecia a week ago, I have noticed a lot of shedding in the past 2 days. From what I have read on the website it should not start for months. Is shedding this soon considered to be a good response to this treatment? I also had started with rogaine about 2 weeks ago but was recomended to try only propecia at first, with rogaine I had a bit of dandruff none with propecia. I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks for putting toguether this website, it's a great tool.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if you're still using the minoxidil, the increase in shedding is probably more pronounced because you are starting two treatments at the same time. i believe i started shedding after only week 2 or 3 on propecia so i think its semi-normal. mine stopped in a few weeks, so just ride it out and don't freak out! you're doing everything you can right now.

martin23

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply that leaves me a bit more calm. Do you think its necesary to use nizoral even if I don't have dandruff while taking propecia?

G

Scalp condition is more important then shedding.

If your scalp feels really healthy and you are shedding then that´s possibly a good sign.

If your scalp is oily, itchy and hurts and you are shedding then that´s a really bad sign.

martin23

Reaction score
My scalp seems to be fine, I only had some dandruff and itching when I used rogaine. I was told to try propecia alone (since I started the treatment) What do u guys think? And for the users of propecia, is nizoral needed even if you don't have dandruff?
Thanks for your help!!

curetheloss

Reaction score
well if you are trying to regrow or thicken up your hair use minoxidil. it is a pain in the butt in my opinion and i think consistent use is key. if you are just trying to maintain your hair just use propecia. if you itch, have flakes, or have a redish scalp i would suggest using nizoral once or twice a week just to make sure your scalp is in good shape. the 1% is available at drugstores for like $8 which will last long if you only use it 1 or 2 times per week.
curetheloss