Propecia no results, now on dutasteride hoping for the best

tomekgr

Reaction score
Any tips welcome
Situation is I am about a Norwood 3 currently, took propecia for a year until Jan 2012 without any results unfortunately. No results in this case means no stabilisation of loss at all. Only thing I found out is from a blood test i made in Jan 2012 is relatively low SHBG and very high free testosterone. Since beginning of Feb 2012 my regimen is dutasteride 0.5 mg daily and then min 3x a week topical spironolactone overnight and the rest days of the week nizoral creme overnight. Shampoo i use is revivogen.

My first month on dutasteride was unspectacular, with a continued loss followed by a strong shed. One thing i did notice was a less itchy and "painful" scalp on dutasteride. After a month I had two months of stabilisation, losing very little hair on a daily basis and no visual change. In May things changed again and I am having a very strong shed lasting until today. Am slowly losing hope of any type of solution to this.

Genetically I would think I should not be in too much trouble ie not this extreme with strong loss in the early 20s. Father is a Norwood 4/5 started losing hair late 20s early 30s. More or less no hairloss from the mothers family side, my brother who is in his early 30s has a perfect, not even mature hairline.

I also seem to have relatively sensitive scalp, ie nizoral shampoo is quite difficult to take for me and even the S5 spironolactone cream is sometimes unpleasant and when left overnight the next day i have an itchy scalp - This is also one of the reasons I have not dared to take any minoxidil. I would be thankful for any tips to my regimen and situation in general.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
I find this very interesting. I'm almost at the one year mark with 9ms 0.5mg and 3ms 1mg of finasteride.

I am currently shedding 150 hairs a day. I never really was down much below 100 hairs I believe. My status has gotten thicker in the front even with some regrowth I think and hard to judge on the crown.
In summary, I'm not sure if I have stabilized.

How did you judge that you haven't stabilized and do you realize that finasteride might even take a second year until results are obvious?

Thanks!

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Any tips welcome
Situation is I am about a Norwood 3 currently, took propecia for a year until Jan 2012 without any results unfortunately. No results in this case means no stabilisation of loss at all. Only thing I found out is from a blood test i made in Jan 2012 is relatively low SHBG and very high free testosterone. Since beginning of Feb 2012 my regimen is dutasteride 0.5 mg daily and then min 3x a week topical spironolactone overnight and the rest days of the week nizoral creme overnight. Shampoo i use is revivogen.

My first month on dutasteride was unspectacular, with a continued loss followed by a strong shed. One thing i did notice was a less itchy and "painful" scalp on dutasteride. After a month I had two months of stabilisation, losing very little hair on a daily basis and no visual change. In May things changed again and I am having a very strong shed lasting until today. Am slowly losing hope of any type of solution to this.

Genetically I would think I should not be in too much trouble ie not this extreme with strong loss in the early 20s. Father is a Norwood 4/5 started losing hair late 20s early 30s. More or less no hairloss from the mothers family side, my brother who is in his early 30s has a perfect, not even mature hairline.

I also seem to have relatively sensitive scalp, ie nizoral shampoo is quite difficult to take for me and even the S5 spironolactone cream is sometimes unpleasant and when left overnight the next day i have an itchy scalp - This is also one of the reasons I have not dared to take any minoxidil. I would be thankful for any tips to my regimen and situation in general.
How is you hair now? Desperate here!