PROPECIA NOT WORKING? POLL

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! just need ya guys to drop by and answer these quick questions. Only if propecia or proscar or any type of finasteride did not work for you. PLEASE!! THIS WOULD BE REALLY HELPFUL FOR EVERYONE HERE.

1) what was the dosage you were taking (ie. 1 mg, .5mg etc..)
2) How long did you take it for, before determing it did not work?
3) What made you determine that it did not work?
4) Did you have hyperandogenic reflex (hyper reflex)
5) What treatments did you use instead?
6) Are you seeing any results with the new treatments?
7) How old are you and what type of hairloss do you have? (norwood,diffuse)

Thank You guys!!! I hope everyone who is experiencing this will post here!!

Bismarck

Reaction score
-> about 1.25mg per day.

-> 3 months (didn't determine that it doesn't work)

-> nothing, but I feel I'll have to add something because finasteride alone isn't potent enough.

-> Don't know. Probably not.

-> I've added topicial RU.

-> not yet

7) How old are you and what type of hairloss do you have?
20, Norwood 2.

bombscience

Reaction score
1mg Propecia (with 5% minoxidil & spironolactone)
12 Months
No increase or decrease in daily amount of hair lost. Hair continued to diffusely thin. When examining hairshaft of shed hair, the tip was dark and thick then progressively thinned towards a colorless root with a white bulb. After 12 months I had less hair then when I began treatment in both the front and crown. At no point did I have more.
No
Dutasteride + Minoxidil 15% + spironolactone
No. In fact, the switch has increased my hairloss because of my time off from minoxidil. Now I continue lose a lot of hair, but I suspect this is the balding process and not a "shed" as the quality of my hair lost is very bad
7) How old are you and what type of hairloss do you have?
Just turned 26, began losing my hair about mid-way through 24. Full top diffuse now with a bit of recession in the temples. Norwood 2 with really thin widows peak and thin crown. Front is the worst, followed by the crown, the top-middle, and then the sides. The lower back of my head is the only place left that is thick.

Hairybush1

Established Member
Reaction score
its hard to say, in fact Id say its impossible to know. We dont have anything to compare what our hair would look like had we not bothered to use finasteride.

I just stopped using it cause after 12 months of using it, i wasnt happy with my hair after that period. I dont care too much about balding know as well, you just start not caring after the initial shock of it all.

Look around anyway, LOTS of guys balding, nothing new. Just work on all your other strengths and it'll make you a combfortable person with yourself and people are attracted to that attitude.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Hairybush1 said:
its hard to say, in fact Id say its impossible to know. We dont have anything to compare what our hair would look like had we not bothered to use finasteride.

I just stopped using it cause after 12 months of using it, i wasnt happy with my hair after that period. I dont care too much about balding know as well, you just start not caring after the initial shock of it all.

Look around anyway, LOTS of guys balding, nothing new. Just work on all your other strengths and it'll make you a combfortable person with yourself and people are attracted to that attitude.

You're a wise man. Props to you.

D.

Grandpa

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry Spidy182, but I don't get the point of this thread. It seems kind of like unnecessarily downbeat scaremongering to march out everyone with a bad finasteride experience. Why didn't you just poll a yay vs. nay thread so people could see the ratio of people with positive experiences against those with bad?

G

FleshEatingRobot said:
Sorry Spidy182, but I don't get the point of this thread. It seems kind of like unnecessarily downbeat scaremongering to march out everyone with a bad finasteride experience.

Yeah Spidy, you sound like George Bush.

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you just poll a yay vs. nay thread so people could see the ratio of people with positive experiences against those with bad?

EXACTLY!! ... Maybe because i'm not trying to find the ratio of people who had positive results vs. negative ones.
Notice the topic of this post, its directed to those who had negative or no results from finasteride.

Sorry Spidy182, but I don't get the point of this thread. It seems kind of like unnecessarily downbeat scaremongering to march out everyone with a bad finasteride experience.

scaremongering = one who spreads rumors or exaggerate facts to scare others.

Thats not what I'm trying to do. I am trying to gather "Actual experiences" of people who had not responded to finasteride positively.
Just like those posts that ask about Gyno or ED, are they scaremongering too?

Yeah Spidy, you sound like George Bush
badasshairday , all polticians are either scaremongers or coverups.
This is not a political forum, nor do you have to post here, if you dont like the questions i ask, then ignore this post.
I am not going around saying "finasteride is TERRIBLE!!"

Once again I am merely trying to hear experiences from people who did not respond to finasteride. ( AND THERE ARE MANY WHO DO NOT RESPOND TO finasteride).

So no hard feelings guys. I hope you guys understand now...

Grandpa

Established Member
Reaction score
I still don't get it, you didn't actually explain anything. You didn't say why you want a thread of just negative results. I obviously saw it was in the title, but my question was why you'd want to dredge all the negative finasteride stories and put them on display. And I do think it's scaremongering, maybe not in the most stringent sense of the word. You aren't misrepresenting facts in the sense of lying or anything, but by creating a thread of all negative stories it's kind of misleading to people who might be considering using finasteride. I don't know.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hairybush1 said:

Easier said that done, but geniune advice regardless. I mean, this could be a HIV Positives board or something terrible like that. Good to keep things in perspective.

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
I still don't get it, you didn't actually explain anything. You didn't say why you want a thread of just negative results.

Why is it that I need to explain why I need a thread of input from people who did not respond to finasteride?
But just to satisify your curiosity, its because I really do not think I am one of those who responds to finasteride well......
I am closing in onto month 7, and my hair has never been worst.
I've lost almost 30-40% of the hair from when i started on finasteride.
When i started I was thinning on my left temple and a lil on my vertex. I can gel all my hair and you wont be able to notice anything. Now its all over the top, there is not a part of top where you can't see my scalp. My left temple is almost gone and my right temple is now in the same shape as my left temple when I first started.

Most people that I read that are using only finasteride, no minoxidil or anything see results around 3-5 months. As for me I haven't seen any turn around.

Only a downward spiral..
As for another things my face keeps breaking out ever since being in finasteride.

And I am seroiusly beginning to think that finasteride's doing more harm than good ... I tried to remain optimistic in the first couple of months. Infact I was even excited about my shed, which lasted about 3 months. (end of march till end of june)

So I am gonna hold out maybe till month 8 or 9.. but right now i'm trying to see those who "didn't" respond to finasteride, how long they stayed on, and what alternatives did they go into after quitting finasteride.

Like I said.. I know there are many out there who did not respond positively to finasteride. Hope ya understand.