propecia only?

FUKHAIRLOSS

Reaction score
Hello.

I have been on propecia for a good 6 months now and I can not honestly say that I've "noticed" any regrowth of my thinning areas. I believe shedding has minimized or completely stopped but thats about as far as I'll go in complimenting the drug for now.

I did have a few questions you could all perhaps help me with. I'm not about to critique finasteride just yet because there may be a few controllable reasons as to why regrowth isnt occurring.

First off, I'm going to level with you all so that you can be of help to me. While I have used 5% generic minoxidil on and off, I have never stuck to it. I'll eventually run out and I will go without it for a month or two, possibly three before I buy more. Even when I do have it available to me, I do not use utliize it daily. I'll heavily apply it for 1-3 days and then it will tail off eventually being applied roughly every 2-3 days until the bottle runs dry, of course.

With my propecia, there are days that come up here and there where I slack taking a pill. I am pretty good about the propecia pills but I do occasionally miss a day or two consecutively here and there.

So I guess my quesitons are as follows..

Does minoxidil really make that big of a difference when taking finasteride as far as regrowth possibility goes?

Does it really affect regrowth possibility not sticking to these drugs on a systemized pattern to the T day in day out?

Can anyone recommend any regime or products to me that are proven as regrowth treatments other than minoxidil?

Is generic minoxidil (such as equate brand) as effective as rogaine brand?

How much chepaer is proscar over propecia and is the fina dosage the same?

Thanks guys .. any help you can give me would be appreciated

G

FUKHAIRLOSS said:

Hello FUKHAIRLOSS

FUKHAIRLOSS said:
I have been on propecia for a good 6 months now and I can not honestly say that I've "noticed" any regrowth of my thinning areas.

6 months is far too early to make a judgement. Also propecia will generally not regrow a noticable amount of hair, its main action is to stop further hairloss, it is not a growth stimulant.

some people will see an improvement in regrowth (an average peaking around year 2)

FUKHAIRLOSS said:
I believe shedding has minimized or completely stopped but thats about as far as I'll go in complimenting the drug for now.

That's a pretty good compliment, as the drug has achieved it's intended purpose.

FUKHAIRLOSS said:
I did have a few questions you could all perhaps help me with. I'm not about to critique finasteride just yet because there may be a few controllable reasons as to why regrowth isnt occurring.

First off, I'm going to level with you all so that you can be of help to me. While I have used 5% generic minoxidil on and off, I have never stuck to it. I'll eventually run out and I will go without it for a month or two, possibly three before I buy more. Even when I do have it available to me, I do not use utliize it daily. I'll heavily apply it for 1-3 days and then it will tail off eventually being applied roughly every 2-3 days until the bottle runs dry, of course.

:shock: well then it won't work. Infact this practice may do more harm than good to your hair condition.

FUKHAIRLOSS said:
With my propecia, there are days that come up here and there where I slack taking a pill. I am pretty good about the propecia pills but I do occasionally miss a day or two consecutively here and there.

If you can't be bothered taking a tiny pill once a day or sticking to a minoxidil routine, I wouldn't expect you to beat male pattern baldness.

FUKHAIRLOSS said:
So I guess my quesitons are as follows..

Does minoxidil really make that big of a difference when taking finasteride as far as regrowth possibility goes?

yes, propecia is not a growth stimulator.

FUKHAIRLOSS said:
Does it really affect regrowth possibility not sticking to these drugs on a systemized pattern to the T day in day out?

Good grief!!.......no, you should be fine, just pop a pill when you feel like it, once a week, once a year, whenever, go off for a few years, then back on. Try a day or two of minoxidil then none for 3 weeks, it all does the same thing..... :hairy:

FUKHAIRLOSS said:
Can anyone recommend any regime or products to me that are proven as regrowth treatments other than minoxidil?

why don't you try a course minoxidil first? splashing a bit of spironolactone on your head and forgetting about it for a month or two will do you no better.

Minoxidil and Propecia are the best we have!!!

FUKHAIRLOSS said:
Is generic minoxidil (such as equate brand) as effective as rogaine brand?

yes, some genreics (Kirkland) are even rumoured to be produced by UpJohn (the manufacturer of Rogaine)

FUKHAIRLOSS said:
How much chepaer is proscar over propecia and is the fina dosage the same?

Propecia is three or four times the price of Proscar (per mg)

Propecia = 1mg of finasteride

Proscar = 5mg of finasteride (so you take a quarter or a fifth of a pill/day)

Good Luck FUKHAIRLOSS

I think you might need it.