Propecia shed 3 years later?!

hairboss

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been taking propecia 1mg EOD for the past 3 years or so. Worked well to maintain and even thicken out a little bit. Never experienced a shed. Recently (beginning of April), I started taking 1mg ED to see if i could make things even better. The past month or so, I noticed that my hairline has definitely receded and I can make 30 hairs fall into my sink within 3 seconds. These aren't little dead looking hairs. They are thick, healthy hairs with little white bulbs. I notice the same thing in the shower each time I shampoo. I'm really thinking about going back to taking it EOD because my hairline is starting to look like crap. Actually, my entire head has thinned out and I never had a problem anywhere but a couple of spots in the front.

I've also been using minoxidil 5% and azelaic acid 5% on my hairline and the other week started using spironolactone. Also taking Biotin 4000mcg ED.

My question is did I trigger a shed by starting to take propecia more frequently? If I did, I don't understand why I would start going through a shed 3 years later. Should I just go back to what was working for me before? If I do, will the shed hair come back or is that all lost now?

Any advice or suggestions offered would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

hairboss

Reaction score
I've been using minoxidil just as long as propecia and just as often and only on my hairline. The shedding is my entire head. Anybody else have any idea?

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No, I don't believe the fact you switched to ED caused the hair shed. The cause of it could possibly be the fact that propecia begins to lose effectiveness after 2 years. Search through my past posts to get more info in regards to this. If you're using AA & spironolactone you should not worry too much. Those are 2 good topical DHT inhibitors. Just continue to apply consistently.

Charlie5

Reaction score
My experience after using Propecia is that whenever I doubled the dose of Propecia, more specifically increasing from 1mg to 2 mg or 2 to 5mg, I got massive shedding. If I increased the dose very slowly over many months (got special scale to weigh & cut pills down) , I did not get much shedding.

So you are increasing the dose from 1mg every other day to 1mg every day, so you might get shedding from this.

My question of which I'm still not sure about is do you get shedding routinely (within 0-2 months) when decreasing or stopping medication.