propecia shed

youngnat

Reaction score
hi there

just wondering how many (if any) of you out there that has shed from propecia (but wait...) kept going with it only to find your hair got worse and worse, didnt thicken back up and now you have terrible thin hair on top?

im just over the 4month mark with propecia, i started shedding around 2 months i think and it wasnt until a couple weeks ago that the shedding appears to have stopped (maybe thats cos i have not alot of hair to shed anymore)

fingers crossed. but obvious anxiety from my new found thin look has me on edge and many times i have thought about stopping the drug, yet always in the back of my mind is the fact that maybe the drug isnt working and in fact the shed is the normal accelerated balding process one goes through.

dave88

Reaction score
Iv'e been on finasteride for 9 months now and I've been shedding almost steadily since the 4-5 months mark. My hair is definately worse now than when i started. I'm giving it till the year mark to see forsure if it's helping or not, but if not then im getting off it. a member on this forum named dryouseff put up a post not to long ago about people with diffuse thinning, like me, are less likely to respond to finasteride and in some cases it makes it worse. Something to do with the raised testosterone levels. Look him up and his posts to read further, but I'm definately worried myself. Cross your fingers tightly!

youngnat

Reaction score
yea i always worry and i know im not alone going by these forums and others i have read, however the funny thing is theres alot of talk about the dreaded 'shed' yet alot of hair transplant doctors dont appear to know too much about its causes, however i know the theory behind it. I am not a diffuse thinner, but have thinning hair around the frontal and top region (tuft of hair on the front) which i think is the worst male pattern baldness in terms of hair pattern.

what i have done is had a small hair transplant, with the plan to have another one or two in the coming year, and keep on my propecia and saw palmetto plan (minoxidil is just too messy and makes my hair appear too thin.)

i like many others are married to the meds in the hope it works, because doing nothing is just not an option until that last hair falls from the top of my head.

and i dont think ill ever wear a hair piece, for the reason that one day when im old enough (im currently 30yrs) that i decide my hair isnt a priority and ill gracefully accept my balding head to my friends and family (because i wouldnt tell them) one day ill have hair, one day i wont.... by taking meds and doing hair transplant ops if i do go thin and dont beat this thing atleast itll be progressive and people over time will get used to the thinning hair.

sorry for the novel ive written here...

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
dave88 said:
a member on this forum named dryouseff put up a post not to long ago about people with diffuse thinning, like me, are less likely to respond to finasteride and in some cases it makes it worse.

I completely disagree with that. From the pictures I have seen, the majority of people that have shown dramatic improvements whilst taking finasteride have been 'diffuse thinners.' Take a look through the numerous posts in the 'success' forum, I'd estimate 7 out of 10 people with success stories are diffuse thinners.

In my opinion, it's the people with receding hairlines that have the most difficulty achieving results.

I agree with what youngnat said, frontal loss is a lot worse - both in terms of 'looks' as well as treating.

youngnat

Reaction score
definitely, i have frontal loss and look stupid, had one hair transplant to slightly fill in the front, it was a pretty small session, and having another one in 4-6 months (Doctor said thats the time frame in between to give time for the grafts to settle and grow in so he doesnt accidentally fill in grafts over the top of others), i cant wait to have the 2nd one.

also its funny that the people who love you dont really tell you your hair looks like crap, i guess thats why they love you, sometimes i look in the mirror and wonder if i see myself and my thinning hair and judge myself way worse then i really am, or whether im in fact seeing what everyone else is seeing and the people who love me just arent telling me.

im definitely thinning, just how bad.... not sure, in my mind its bad enough and makes me feel pretty small at times.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
youngnat said:
definitely, i have frontal loss and look stupid, had one hair transplant to slightly fill in the front, it was a pretty small session, and having another one in 4-6 months (Doctor said thats the time frame in between to give time for the grafts to settle and grow in so he doesnt accidentally fill in grafts over the top of others), i cant wait to have the 2nd one.

also its funny that the people who love you dont really tell you your hair looks like crap, i guess thats why they love you, sometimes i look in the mirror and wonder if i see myself and my thinning hair and judge myself way worse then i really am, or whether im in fact seeing what everyone else is seeing and the people who love me just arent telling me.

im definitely thinning, just how bad.... not sure, in my mind its bad enough and makes me feel pretty small at times.

lol i can reasonate with this

sometimes i look in the mirror and my hair looks okay.

other days UNDER CERTAIN MIRRORS particularly when directly under a strong light (example, a changing room in a clothes shop) i can see my hair is thinner than sometimes i like to think. Also, i can see my scalp under strong light like this.

What i wonder and ill never really get a good answer is - HOW DOES IT LOOK IN REAL LIFE? Are you under the strong light generally or not? Or just the average light in which i look ok?