Propecia shedding after 2/3 years

adam_uk

Reaction score
hi guys, Iam 26 tomo and ive been on propecia for about 2 and a half years, and i can say i have felt some benefit from the drug, reduced hair loss, in comparison to before i starting taking it.

my hair was especially thicker during the summer, and i was satisfied with it and the result, however over the last 3 months i have been shedding a lot more than i can ever remember, and i am getting distressed by it. i am finding more hair in the shower and its more lamp and harder to style.

i am worrying that i may have done something wrong,

i mean i try and take at the same time ( within the same hour of between (9.30 and 10.30 ) each day, however i have been away on a drinking holiday and have been an hour late on taking it, also would all the booze be effecting it? im not a heavy drinker, not every day but i do enjoy my weekends, if you know what i mean

i have never missed a pill and always take it on an empty stomach

basically, am i worrying for nothing? is this normal, is the drug not working, has anyone else had shedding 2/3/4 years into taking the drug consistently?

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
adam_uk said:
basically, am i worrying for nothing? is this normal, is the drug not working, has anyone else had shedding 2/3/4 years into taking the drug consistently?

Some possibilities:

1) Coincidence

2)) You have gotten tolerant to finasteride. This typically shows at 2-4 years after starting finasteride. The percentage of users developing tolerance to finasteride is controversial, but one in four to one in three are typical figures.

3) Your hair growth has gotten synchronized. If it all starts to grow at the same time, it tends to shed at the same time. This tends to show in persons who respond early and well to a treatment, which it sounds like you did. This will reverse itself as the shedding follicles start to grow new hair.

Synchronization can be quite striking. I have a few patients whose bald patch seems to breath in and out with recurrent cycles of shedding and growth. This tends to damp out after a cycle or two.

Peter H. Proctor, PhD,MD

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, it's probably not that serious. You're already taking Propecia, so there's not much more you can do for your hair right now. Are you going through a stressful period in your life? I remeber I used to lose tons of hair during my exams period when I was in college. If the situation persists, talk to your doctor.

adam_uk

Reaction score
i guess i am a little stressed out at the moment which wont help! just hope it all sorts its self out, touch wood,

i take vitamins, and as strict as possible with timing and not eating around taking it,

i really think the seasons play apart in shedding, does nayone know about this?

adam_uk

Reaction score
another thing i was thinking of ( worrying ) say if i feel i have a high Libido does this increase the amount of Testosterone my body produce and thus increase the amount of DHT? have i just put this in my head or have there been any sort of studes into this?

could this be down to me losing more hair than usual, say if i was having a very active and healthy sex life?

thanks in advance guys

AD

Reactions: KSA