Propecia stopped working

rk55

Reaction score
I've been taking propecia for 15 months. During the first 13 months, I had unbelievable results. My hair got thicker and fuller, filling in towards the temples and along the hairline. I could not believe how terrific it worked. In the past two months, my hair has done a complete 180. I feel as though the propecia has totally stopped working, and all of the built up DHT has rushed back in mass quantities. My hair feels coarse and thin again, falling out in the shower, when I run my hand through it, and on the pillow. I am completely depressed and cannot understand why a product that had such tremedous results could suddenly stop working with such extreme results. Has anyone else gone through this? Will the healthy hair return? I know this is more than a shed, because the quality of hair throughout my head has changed. I'd like to hear from someone else who has experienced this.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Same thing I've been experiencing - However, I'm at the 2.5 year mark and have noticed the reverse over the past 6 or so months. I'd like to know whats going on too.

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What I have heard about Propecia on a 5 year result is that the first 2 years hairs goes in great than you will loss hair the next year and then the year after but not as much. But at the 5 year you should see you the shedding or hair loss to start and then just maintain. It does not happen to a lot of people but that what I read.

You maybe going through the end of a hair cycle and should come back over time. do you take a photo documentlty on your hair? If so than you can see if your really losing hair or not.

I know a 5 months ago it seem like a was lossing hair but after a couple of months later maybe 3 months it turn around. It's really hard to say what's going on with your hair because we know very little about hair loss. We know some main cause for hair loss but not all. Try not to worry about it, like I did and hope the best.

May want to intake more protein and add Nizoral 2% to your hair.

Bismarck

Reaction score
Actionpack is certainly right, sounds like a cycle sychronisation problem to me. Note that Finasteride doesn't loose its efficiacy suddenly and especially not if you had pretty good results before.

Bismarck

Reaction score
1. Anagen-Phase: 2-6 years (90%)
2. Catagen-Phase: 2 weeks (3%)
3. Telogen-Phase: 2-4 months (18%)

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently asked Dr Lee a question that went along the lines of whether hairloss treatments lose efficacy and the regrowth starts reversing. I think his response was that, although, treatments do lose their efficacy, one should be able to retain the hair that they have grown for as long as they keep using that particular treatment. He was on about minoxidil, however.

My guess (I cannot substantaiate this with any scientific theory or study) is that products like minoxidil will work indefinately.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Bismarck said:
1. Anagen-Phase: 2-6 years (90%)
2. Catagen-Phase: 2 weeks (3%)
3. Telogen-Phase: 2-4 months (18%)

aren't these estimates for hair that's not affected by male pattern baldness.

One of the problems associated with male pattern baldness is when the hair has an unusually short Anagen phase and an unusually long Telogen phase......This slowly happens over time and is probably why people who are just starting to go through male pattern baldness have the best results from finasteride.
This also maybe why some go through an unusually long shed before they see results.
I could totally be talkin outta my *** so please correct me if this is wrong.