Propecia versus Proscar

Some_Dude

Reaction score
I've recently switched from Propecia to Proscar in order to cut some costs. I'm noticing that Proscar isn't doing as well a job as Propecia did. Is this common or should I go back on Propecia or just ride it out?

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How long have you been taking propecia before switching to Proscar? You maybe going through a shedding period or you been taking propecia for a long time and seeing that the drug is fading off. Hard to say when you don't say anything about the issues you have. Where are you getting the Proscar at? Is it an online store and if so it from Canada? Canada is a save place to get it. On the package of the proscar does it say who makes the drug and if so does it say Marck on it? Marck is the drug company that make Proscar or Propecia. So if it does not say Marck than you maybe taking the a drug that is not right.

Some_Dude

Reaction score
I was on Propecia for about 7 months before going on Proscar. My Propecia was courtesy of Brazil and their fabulous cheap online medications. And the Proscar is right from the pharmacy down the street in Canadia.

I'm not sure if it's shedding or not. I'm definately noticing an effect though. I'm just wondering if I should get back on Propecia before it's too late.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
Some_Dude said:
I've recently switched from Propecia to Proscar in order to cut some costs. I'm noticing that Proscar isn't doing as well a job as Propecia did. Is this common or should I go back on Propecia or just ride it out?

Some_Dude,

I would not switch to Proscar, play with my health and take the risk to inherit some nasty side effect in the future. We are already "playing" with our hormones enough by using Propecia. Very serious studies were performed by Merck to dosage Finasteride in Propecia. Raising that amount to 1.25 mg (more or less) is in my opinion very dangerous and I opt to spend $45 every month on Propecia or go generic rather than "scalpel" pills of Proscar :!:

de Gaulle.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
People seem to forget, Proscar is taken as 5mg tablets for treatment of prostate enlargement.. from memory, only 1% of them had side-effects associated directly from finasteride.

The difference between increase in finasteride and DHT levels is NOT linear! An increased dosage of 25% finasteride would probably only decreases DHT levels an additional 2% or so. But to my knowledge, the company making propecia/proscar never did publish the data pertaining to the affinity of finasteride to 5ar.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
Rage said:
People seem to forget, Proscar is taken as 5mg tablets for treatment of prostate enlargement.. from memory, only 1% of them had side-effects associated directly from finasteride.

The difference between increase in finasteride and DHT levels is NOT linear! An increased dosage of 25% finasteride would probably only decreases DHT levels an additional 2% or so. But to my knowledge, the company making propecia/proscar never did publish the data pertaining to the affinity of finasteride to 5ar.

Rage,

So you claim that raising the level of finasteride in one's body won't raise the side effects? I have a VERY hard time to believe this.

Then, at which level of finasteride do side effect stop? Maybe Merck should release a "light" version of Propecia with no side effect?

In my opinion, by raising the level of finasteride by 25% in someone's body, we could very much be raising his chance of getting side effects by 25% ... it could very much be a linear relationship in fact! We don't know... it depends on person's specific reaction.

Now, as far as the study that says that only 1% of Proscar users have side effects, again I have some difficulties to accept this as a realistic fact: how come would Propecia's users experience side effects more often than Proscar users (2% vs 1%)?

This just doesn't make any sense, and therefore I still believe that cutting Proscar pills into fourths is a dangerous thing to do.

de Gaulle.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Here's some accurate data on Proscar: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/finas_ad.htm

While comparing Propecia and Proscar, keep in mind the reference groups for each drug. Propecia users tend to be young men (18-41) whereas Proscar users are all old men (55+). Clearly, an older man in his 60's will be less likely to notice sexual side effects than a 20-year old.

You can read all about the effect of finasteride at different dosages at the following Web sites. A quick synopsis: A 0.20 mg dose is about the same as any dose above it in terms of blocking DHT.

1. http://dept.physics.upenn.edu/facultyin ... peciafda2/
2. http://www.keratin.com/ac/baldnesstreat ... ates.shtml

D.

Bismarck

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
Rage said:

Rage,

So you claim that raising the level of finasteride in one's body won't raise the side effects? I have a VERY hard time to believe this.

Then, at which level of finasteride do side effect stop? Maybe Merck should release a "light" version of Propecia with no side effect?

In my opinion, by raising the level of finasteride by 25% in someone's body, we could very much be raising his chance of getting side effects by 25% ... it could very much be a linear relationship in fact! We don't know... it depends on person's specific reaction.

Now, as far as the study that says that only 1% of Proscar users have side effects, again I have some difficulties to accept this as a realistic fact: how come would Propecia's users experience side effects more often than Proscar users (2% vs 1%)?

This just doesn't make any sense, and therefore I still believe that cutting Proscar pills into fourths is a dangerous thing to do.

de Gaulle.

General, Finastride decreases DHT in the blood. A study has shown that 5mg reduces only 0.5% more DHT the 1mg dose. The proscar users of the trial you mentioned had less side effects because they were older and therefore less sensitive to hormonal changes than the propecia trialists.

bis

de Gaulle

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
While comparing Propecia and Proscar, keep in mind the reference groups for each drug. Propecia users tend to be young men (18-41) whereas Proscar users are all old men (55+). Clearly, an older man in his 60's will be less likely to notice sexual side effects than a 20-year old.

Thank you for pointing this out: I was also going to mention this fact...

drinkrum said:
You can read all about the effect of finasteride at different dosages at the following Web sites. A quick synopsis: A 0.20 mg dose is about the same as any dose above it in terms of blocking DHT.

Therefore increasing the amount of finasteride beyond 0.2mg will ONLY increase the chance for side effects!

Conclusion: Do not split Proscar in fourths to treat your hairloss and try to save money!! You are taking too many risks that you may have to pay for later anyway...

de Gaulle.

drinkrum

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
drinkrum said:

Thank you for pointing this out: I was also going to mention this fact...

drinkrum said:

Therefore increasing the amount of finasteride beyond 0.2mg will ONLY increase the chance for side effects!

Conclusion: Do not split Proscar in fourths to treat your hairloss and try to save money!! You are taking too many risks that you may have to pay for later anyway...

de Gaulle.

Not necessarily. The side effects stem from the decrease in DHT and also probably from the subsequent increase in estrogen. If the amount of DHT being blocked is the same, it doesn't make sense that the side effects should increase, does it?

D.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Also, remember that people don't have to split the pill into 4ths. They can split it into 5ths or even 8ths. The choice is up to them but still buying Proscar will result in sizable cost savings. For the people that do split it into 4ths, I would recommend that for every 5th day, they take nothing so as to maintain a 1 mg/day effective dosage.

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
Bismarck said:
General, Finastride decreases DHT in the blood. A study has shown that 5mg reduces only 0.5% more DHT the 1mg dose. The proscar users of the trial you mentioned had less side effects because they were older and therefore less sensitive to hormonal changes than the propecia trialists.

Very good point Otto Fürst von Bismarck!! :D

Thanks.

General Charles de Gaulle.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
Not necessarily. The side effects stem from the decrease in DHT and also probably from the subsequent increase in estrogen. If the amount of DHT being blocked is the same, it doesn't make sense that the side effects should increase, does it?

D.

If the side effects are ONLY due to the decrease in DHT level, you are right. If these side effects are caused by the interraction of finasteride on hormones there is still a greater risk for them to occur.

de Gaulle.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
Also, remember that people don't have to split the pill into 4ths. They can split it into 5ths or even 8ths. The choice is up to them but still buying Proscar will result in sizable cost savings. For the people that do split it into 4ths, I would recommend that for every 5th day, they take nothing so as to maintain a 1 mg/day effective dosage.

D.

I'd rather go generic first before playing with my hormones by increasing the level of finasteride in my body...

Generally, people take 1.25mg (more or less) by splitting Proscar... I still believe that we are better off taking a nicely dosed pill of Propecia than taking the risk to pay later for extra side effects.

de Gaulle.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
de Gaulle,

they have tested finasteride - and found no interaction with anything except with 5ar.

but it is your money, so its definitely up to you.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
Rage said:
de Gaulle,

they have tested finasteride - and found no interaction with anything except with 5ar.

but it is your money, so its definitely up to you.

Rage,

Does this tell me that increasing the level of Finasteride absorbed daily (25% more) will not expose me to more risk for side effects?

I am still convinced my money is very well spent at this time...

de Gaulle.

drinkrum

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
drinkrum said:

D.

If the side effects are ONLY due to the decrease in DHT level, you are right. If these side effects are caused by the interraction of finasteride on hormones there is still a greater risk for them to occur.

de Gaulle.

I'm confused. DHT _is_ a hormone. What else besides hormones and hormone-related enzymes do you think finasteride is interacting with?

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
drinkrum,

DHT (stands for dehydratedtestosterone I guess ?) is transformed testosterone that is essential to every man's growth during puberty. Once fully grown, DHT becomes useless in the man's body and it is usually the main cause for hairloss.

DHT is a derivative of testosterone so it must be considered as an hormone if it influences physical growth and transformation?

de Gaulle.