Propecia

Stocked

Reaction score
My Dr will not prescribe Propecia for me for male pattern baldness so I am thinking of self medicating.

Before I do I have a couple of questions that I hope someone will answer for me.

Does Propecia lose some of it's effectiveness after a couple of years of use?

Can the use of Propecia cause liver damage?

Does everyone taking Propecia get greasy skin?

Thanks for any help.

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't your doctor give you propecia? Be sure its male pattern baldness and not a mature hairline. And how long have your been losing your hair, and how old are you?

It does lose effectiveness, but even after 5 years you should have more hair than you started with.

They do advise people who have liver problems, but the only way to find out if it affects you is to get some blood work done.

Not everyone gets greasy skin from using Propecia. I do, but its nothing some acne soap or salicylic acid can't take care of.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't forget, you're taking 1mg vs the 5mg that the prostate sufferers take.. so the effects should be less than those indicated in studies.

I had very dry skin before taking finasteride, and I still have dry skin.

Stocked

Reaction score
My Dr does not know much about male pattern baldness. She had never heard of Propecia and did ot want to prescribe it.]

How can I tell the difference between male pattern baldness and a mature hairline?
If my hair is receeding then I guess it will carry on receeding?

I am 32 and I guess it has been receeding for the last 5 years ish.

So it loses it effectiveness after 5 years, in that case would it be better for me to start Propecia nearer the age of 40?

Another concern with taking Propecia for many years is becoming less masculine and deveolping female characteristics like Gyno. Is that something you have heard much about?

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Well your first problem is your doctors a she :hairy: . And yeah I think it was badasshair____ (sorry) who developed gyno, it does happen but not to the vast majority of users. If it happens to you don't continue taking it.

Do you lose alot of hair from one area, or you may be losing your hair very slowly like my father. Check for thinning areas that you could tell is different from the rest of your hair. At 32, you should have a mature hairline, but if it is creeping back you may have male pattern baldness

The later you start the less hair you will have to save and you may not respond as well at 40 (not 100% sure but it is a generalized norm).

You could just go with minoxidil, its pretty good for maintenence and regrowth if you respond and do not want to go with the oral route

Stocked

Reaction score
I see, so if I started getting gyno and I then stopped taking Propecia the gyno would go away?

I am not losing a lot of hair from one area but it is thinning slowly over the years like your father's.
So would that be a mature hairline rather than male pattern baldness?
Is DHT implicated in both a mature hairline and male pattern baldness?

Is Propecia still as effective at treating a mature hairline as it is in male pattern baldness?

Maybe Propecia will only be effective in someone that is shedding hair and not someone that is losing hairs slightly faster than they are being replaced if you see what I mean?

Sorry for all the questions but this is a big decision I have to make about whether to self medicate.

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
If your doctor has never heard of Propecia, you need a new doctor.
Then you won't have to "self medicate"