Proper Dosage of Saw Palmetto?

johnrts

Reaction score
Anyone here take Saw Palmetto?

It is said to stop both forms of DHT.

For those who take it, how much is a proper daily dosage? (miligrams)

Kael

Reaction score
Sorry, I am a new guy here, but what backs your statement up?
Finasteride is basically an attempt at synthesizing saw palmetto and both have very similar effects (well saw palmetto inhibits both isoforms of alpha-5-reductase instead of one like finasteride).

hair today gone tomorrow said:
johnrts said:

SP does not work.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Kael said:
Finasteride is basically an attempt at synthesizing saw palmetto and both have very similar effects (well saw palmetto inhibits both isoforms of alpha-5-reductase instead of one like finasteride).

johnrts said:

SP does not work.

There are no studies that show SP works for hair loss...what is giving you the idea that it works? let me guess you read it on the internet somewhere

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Kael said:

johnrts said:

SP does not work.

finasteride is not an attempt at synthesizing SP....

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Saw Pametto studies have shown up to 30% DHT inhibition but that is very low compared to finasteride which is 80%+. So its a very mild hairloss inhibitor.

Saw parmetto is a natural product and finasteride is a manufactured and the two are not related in any way.

Saw Palmetto has not been shown to inhibit both types of Alpha 5 that I have seen only dutasteride has that ability. It has not been demonstrated the the 2nd type does actually affect hairloss so not necessarily the big issue.

1500mg per day Saw Palmetto is the norm. I took it for 4 months and it had no effect but then neither has finasteride hence why I am now on dutasteride to see if that can do the job.

Kael

Reaction score
thanks, THATS the kind of response i wanted. not the other hostile and demeaning replies.

the main references i was using for the question were:
Prager N; Bickett K, French N, Marcovici G (2002 Apr 8). "A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to determine the effectiveness of botanically derived inhibitors of 5-alpha-reductase in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia.". J Altern Complement Med 8 (2): 143-152.

and:

Marks LS; Hess DL, Dorey FJ, Luz Macairan M, Cruz Santos PB, Tyler VE (May, 2001). "Tissue effects of saw palmetto and finasteride: use of biopsy cores for in situ quantification of prostatic androgens.". Urology 57 (5): 999-1005

I was simply asking since I had not seen or heard of any new research, and the sources i have DO say it block both types of alpha-5-reductase.

I am amazed that no one thought that since saw palmetto is a naturally occuring substance that it can not be patented and hence no profit is seen in it and hence no funds for research into its effectiveness.

(oh I sort of do software for merck and sanofi)

Nick4441 said:
Saw Pametto studies have shown up to 30% DHT inhibition but that is very low compared to finasteride which is 80%+. So its a very mild hairloss inhibitor.

Saw parmetto is a natural product and finasteride is a manufactured and the two are not related in any way.

Saw Palmetto has not been shown to inhibit both types of Alpha 5 that I have seen only dutasteride has that ability. It has not been demonstrated the the 2nd type does actually affect hairloss so not necessarily the big issue.

1500mg per day Saw Palmetto is the norm. I took it for 4 months and it had no effect but then neither has finasteride hence why I am now on dutasteride to see if that can do the job.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Kael said:
thanks, THATS the kind of response i wanted. not the other hostile and demeaning replies.

Prager N; Bickett K, French N, Marcovici G (2002 Apr 8). "A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to determine the effectiveness of botanically derived inhibitors of 5-alpha-reductase in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia.". J Altern Complement Med 8 (2): 143-152.

and:

Marks LS; Hess DL, Dorey FJ, Luz Macairan M, Cruz Santos PB, Tyler VE (May, 2001). "Tissue effects of saw palmetto and finasteride: use of biopsy cores for in situ quantification of prostatic androgens.". Urology 57 (5): 999-1005

I was simply asking since I had not seen or heard of any new research, and the sources i have DO say it block both types of alpha-5-reductase.

I am amazed that no one thought that since saw palmetto is a naturally occuring substance that it can not be patented and hence no profit is seen in it and hence no funds for research into its effectiveness.

Nick4441 said:

SP does not work for hair loss....its that simple...im not tryin to be hostile or demeaning...if you want to save your hair get on either finasteride or dutasteride.

Go take a look in the success stories forum...almost all of them are using finasteride or dutasteride as the backbone of their regimens.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Kael said:

and:

Nick4441 said:

oh and btw there are also studies showing that SP does nothing to lower DHT levels....there are also newer studies that show SP does nothing to treat BPH.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Kael said:

[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":93543]
johnrts said:

SP does not work.

There are no studies that show SP works for hair loss...what is giving you the idea that it works? let me guess you read it on the internet somewhere[/quote:93543]

In case you've forgotten, you're just an internet source as well; one who probably hasn't done any significant tests himself. So which is more credible?

Klapsen

Reaction score
I used high potency standarized Saw Palmetto, justo 320mg a day and I can say that it does things, I cannot say if it would have saved my hair because I abandoned it because my stomach did not tolerate it very well, but it definitely made my skin drier, a tipical effect of dutasteride and I experienced some shed, so Saw Palmetto DOES things if you choose the right type of Saw Palmetto, I'm not saying it would prevent you from going bald, but it is totally false that Saw Palmetto does nothing and you have no studies to prove it, those who say it are Propecia or Dutasteride users that don't want to hear anybody having success with something that will not kill his dick in a short time.

Jhi576

Reaction score
johnrts said:

Saw pamelto help since i took it.I had one inch of hairline that it was not real, but thanks God it did.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah I have my doubts on supplements. Gel caps for saw palmetto I know my body absorbed those and it did do something the effect diminished though. No one has a clue the proper dosage just take finasteride. Supplements not being studied will lead us to countless more threads like this one as people constantly wonder maybe theres a better or safer way to keep our hair? No such thing take something serious to try to stop it or just forget about baldness until its on your doorstep