Proscar and light

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
I was at the propecia dumping ground browsing and i read that someone read on a merck website that cutting proscar into fourths and then leaving them exposed to light may damage the pills effectiveness, can anyone attest to this because i personally have been putting the fourths of the pill into a ziploc bag for a while where they are exposed to light. :freaked2:

G

The shedder said:
I was at the propecia dumping ground browsing and i read that someone read on a merck website that cutting proscar into fourths and then leaving them exposed to light may damage the pills effectiveness, can anyone attest to this because i personally have been putting the fourths of the pill into a ziploc bag for a while where they are exposed to light. :freaked2:

I am sure Merck will muster as many 'possible' (unknown) problems to dividing Proscar as they can, for reasons that need little explanation.

Unless someone can come up with some hard evidence I doubt exposure to normal light levels will be an issue.

There are warnings on the Proscar/Propecia box about women handling broken or crushed tablets, but make no mention of light exposure issues to the these broken or crushed tablets.

Most chopped Proscar will only be exposed to light for 3-4 days (depending on if you chop them into 4 or 5 pieces). Only the non-coated surfaces will be directly exposed to light, this area is a tiny fraction of the pill volume, any light that penetrates past this initial barrier will be much diffused.

If light was a major issue, I am sure Merck would have designed it out of their product, as a light sensitive product would mean further production costs as exposure to light would be an issue at manufacturing.

I don't think you have much to worry about, but if it is still a concern simply find a light tight container.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The shedder said:

I personaly doubt that light will affect finasteride. With that said, don't go and put your finasteride out in the sun all day jsut put it in your sock draw or something

G

I cut the Proscar into 4ths. Then I place the cut parts back into the blister pack and cover. Then I place in a drawer in my kitchen. I then grab a bit each morning before I go out or each night before I go to bed. I alternate morning and night time.

This is a very complicated routine so I can understand how many people can get confused about were they should store there Proscar.