Proscar pharmacists, and crushing pills

Tommy2tyme

Reaction score
I tried to turn my proscar prescription into a pharmacist and they refused to fill it for me seeing as I am 19 years-old. The prescription by the Dr. actually says on it to cut the pills into fifths and the pharmacist said it would be impossible to cut such a small pill into fifths. Anyways, my friends dad is a pharmacist and I talked to him about filling the prescription. At first, he was very hesitant until he read up on the topic and realized it was perfectly legitimate. Onlu, he suggested I crush the pill up and pour it into 5 oz. of water and then take one ounce of water everyday. Any know if the drug will lose its potencty by doing this, or if there will be any other negative effects?

Cassin

Reaction score
Tommy2tyme said:
I tried to turn my proscar prescription into a pharmacist and they refused to fill it for me seeing as I am 19 years-old. The prescription by the Dr. actually says on it to cut the pills into fifths and the pharmacist said it would be impossible to cut such a small pill into fifths. Anyways, my friends dad is a pharmacist and I talked to him about filling the prescription. At first, he was very hesitant until he read up on the topic and realized it was perfectly legitimate. Onlu, he suggested I crush the pill up and pour it into 5 oz. of water and then take one ounce of water everyday. Any know if the drug will lose its potencty by doing this, or if there will be any other negative effects?

I don't think it will dissolve properly in water, I remember reading somewhere that only 80% of it will dissolve properly. Tell your friends dad that it needs to dissolve in alcohol (I think it dissolves down to around 98%)and ask him what kind of alcohol would be best to use.

It aint beer. :)

If you can get your hands on some everclear, Vodka etc, that would be prime.

And yes you can cut it into 5ths but do whatever is best for you.

EDIT: I can post a picture for you on how to cut it into 5ths. Let me know if you need it. Send me a PM if I forget about it.

Free Bird

Reaction score
If you feel you need to crush you pills, crush one and then divide it into 5ths with a razor blade on a flat dry surface. Then carefully scoop up each pile with the blade and put the material into empty gel caps. You can make your own capsules that way. If you can't find any empty gel caps, empty out some gelatin capsules or something. If you think you might lose a bit of the finasteride during the process, divide the pills into 4ths.

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a pill cutter and split mine into quarters. It's just too hard to get fifths. I was on propecia before, and I may just bite the bullet and go back on it afterwards.

The jury seems to be out as to whether splitting is a good idea or not.