Proscar - prolonged shedding

chriswhis

Reaction score
First, a bit of a back story. I've used Rogaine, Nizoral, and Proscar in the past year and Proscar since April. I started with cutting it into fourths and if I remember correctly the pill started to work while I was still cutting it into fourths, during that time, I was using Rogaine on the front of my hairline and vertex of my scalp. I was also using Nizoral shampoo. At some point because of the convenience and reading I started taking a half pill every other day. At that time I was still using Nizoral and Rogaine and my hair was not falling out! I stopped using them almost 5 months ago because I still have hair and I wanted to know what Proscar was doing on its own. I'd like to keep my treatment of my hairloss as simple as possible. I still continue to take Proscar every other day. For a while, I was not losing hair all over my scalp and I had only used Rogaine in a couple spots, hair was growing where I had not used it. Back about 4 months, I started noticing my hair was falling out again, and I assumed it was just a shed, but it has gotten worse and worse and it's like I'm not even taking the pill anymore. I'm losing 20-30 hairs in the shower and if run my fingers thru my hair I'm always pulling out a few strands. At this point, I'm still taking the pill, and have begun to use Rogaine on the front because my hair is still receding. What's wrong here? What should I do? Is this caused by the way I take Proscar? Should I revert to cutting it into fourths?

I've had issues with dandruff in the past and at this point my scalp feels irritated, but no tingling or pain.

Another bit that may help... I feel no side effects from the Proscar, no issues sexually. When I first started taking it, I feel like I had mood swings and was quicker to anger, but I don't feel like that anymore, but I'm still taking the same amount of the pill.

Thanks,
Chris

Kazoocs

Reaction score
I feel like im in your exact situation. Shedding about 20 - 30 in the shower and have loss when i touch it during the day. My prescription amount allows me to take 2.5 mgs of proscar daily. (15 per month). I have been taking 1 mg for the last year, with average to poor results. Ill let you know if I have any improvement. Please share the same results if you have any!

Mircalegro

Established Member
Reaction score
you should never have quit your other treatments. minoxidil is pretty much a lifetime commitment, and nizoral is always helpful to an overall healthy hair-growing environment. just go back to your old routine and youll probably be fine