Proscar same as Propecia?

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking about switching from Propecia to Proscar strictly because of cost. Are the two the same exact thing? I know they are both finasteride, but is there more to the ingredients than that? Dont want to shock the sh*t out of my scalp.

Reaction score
Proscar is better than propecia hands down. It's the exact same thing and it's waaaaaaaaay cheaper.

Cassin

Reaction score
I have been on Proscar longer than Propecia.

I was on Propecia for 6 months, and next month marks 1 year on Proscar.
Trust me, I would be bald if it did not work JUST as good. Save the cash.

G

propecia = 1 mg of Finasteride

proscar = 5 mg of Finasteride

the only difference is that one (propecia) uses a pink/orange food dye on it's sealed surface and the other uses a blue food dye, but this issue does not relate to hairloss

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The only difference between the two is the color of the pill and the amount that it comes in. Propecia is 1MG and Proscar is 5MG and you cut it up in to fours. Which you will get 1.25MG verses 1MG from Propecia. No real gain with .25MG but it never hurts. If you going to get start to use Proscar from online drug store. You may want to stay away from India stores. Only Canadain stores are safe if you ask me. Also if you can get Proscar make by Marck than you know there the real thing.

Just remember that just because it looks cheaper does not mean it's the real thing.