Proscar, shed begins

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

On the 4 months mark of using Proscar, massive shed begins. Any words of advice? :)

avri

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
buckle up, sit tight and have faith in the fact that 83% of men will still be better off years down the line.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yep. Make sure your scalp is healthy and irritation free, use Nizoral, and wait..

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
try not to assess yourself in the mirror too much because it wont mean jack. not day to day anyway. when you feel down look to the forum for support. if youre ok, dont get obsessive but drop a post every now and then to let us know how youre doing and offer your advice. try not to think about it too much (hard, but its possible if you put your mind to it).

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks, flux & youngguy_uk. Yeah, I'm using Nizoral shampoo, but my scalp is much better ever since I added Aveda Scalp Remedy to my regimen.

avri

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thats a new one.. a leave in treatment eh? Is it aloe based or what? I may just give that a shot. Can it be found in drug stores here in the States?

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a leave-in. It's not a product for hair loss, I guess the category is scalp conditioning. No aloe; It's basically a mix of natural anti-inflammatory agents. I doubt you can find it in a drug store, but it doesn't hurt to try.

avri

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Right,. it wont grow hair, but scalp heath is key to allowing the treatments work. So where'd you pick it up? Online?

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Can't recall where I've first heard about it, but yeah, I got it online. You may be able to get it at a hair salon, since Aveda is a salon brand.

avri

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it common to have a proscar shed between months 4-5? If so, then I can assume that the shed I'm going through can be attributed to that. Impeccable f*****g timing too.. two weeks before my high school grad..

Maybe instead of a dance line I'll start up the Norwood Grove.

Racer

Reaction score
I have got a question though. Is it possible to have a "shed" at around month 8 when there has been no shed prior to that at all? From month 1 to month 7 I have been on propecia and nizoral and no problem at all. Hairloss has almost stopped completely and nearly all scalp irritation, which wasn't that bad to begin with, has gone. Now I am in month 9, I am losing hair (though not as much as the pre-propecia days) and thinning visibly at the front and the itchy scalp has come back.

Anyone got any ideas?

I am toying with the thought of starting minoxidil, but maybe I should wait until the 12 month mark on propecia and reassess then?

hopewas

Reaction score
i shed on proscar the first 3 and a half months. the excessive shed stopped after that

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
did it grow back? how did you look for regrowth? and when it regrew after those 3 months of shedding did it come back to or above baseline? thanks.