Proscar Touch-Handling Problems

thekid

Reaction score
Hi I'm actually very new here posting, but I've lurked for sometime now.
I finally went and talked with a derm yesterday and he said propecia ($60/month) would be best for me (I'm 23) I was shocked when insurance company wouldnt help out so now am looking into proscar.

The only thing I'm worried about with proscar is when I would cut it up, and it gets on my skin, will it hurt me? I've read, "Woman should not come in contact with this pill or it will cause birth defects" What if I were to touch her after I've touched it? How potent is this stuff if it gets on my skin!?

I'm just a nervous starter i guess, but could someone please rest my fears and give me their thoughts? Any help would be great. thanks

Cassin

Reaction score
Hey welcome to the forum Kid!

No worries.......Just find a nice clean surface and cut away on that Proscar. I keep all of my stuff in a small fire safe so no one can get in it and to minimize the exposire to light, heat etc. I have a smoth marble like coaster that I keep in that safe, that I cut everything on. When I am done, I clean the area around it, and wash my hands. Thats all you need to do. A female would have to touch a significant amount more than likely to even remotely do any harm, but it's still best to play it as safe as possible. Plus I have told my Girl to never touch the stuff should I ever leave the cap off. I keep my cut finasteride right next to her meds in the kitchen.

And for you, no it won't hurt you if it touches the skin. This stuff isn't nuclear waste :)

Your insurance will not cover it as it is a "Cosmetic Drug".....Proscar is the way to go.

Good luck! Your gonna do fine.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
The Cassin-ator is correct sir. Read this response from HairLossTalk.com to this question before which sums it up pretty darn well.

It is completely false, reflects complete misunderstanding of the clinical data surrounding fetal development and finasteride, and quite honestly it has no purpose other than to scare the hell out of people with *wrong* information.

You need to stop saying things like this. You're back to spreading completely false information and you're making my job twice as hard having to follow you around and correct everything you say.

Here are the facts:

What do ya know, a clinical study was done on this topic. Thats how scientists come to conclusions in the real world.

The study injected 500 times the dose of a normal finasteride dose, in liquid form, directly into the uterus of a pregnant monkey with a MALE fetus. In that case, the development of the underside of the urethra remained incomplete during fetal development. Smaller doses of the same thing did NOT cause this effect. This was injected directly into the uterus.

Merck's statement is that pregnant women should not handle broken Propecia tablets. By making this statement, as any good legal organization would do, they went way beyond their call of duty and suggested something somewhat absurd "Just to be safe". Note that they didn't even bother suggesting that men should stop taking Propecia.

Using your Brain instead of herbal alarmist logic: Propecia is present in sperm. The danger with finasteride is during sexual organ development of fetus. The time period between sperm entering the vagina and the sexual development of the fetus is MONTHS. This simple logic shows us that it will have already been passed safely from the woman's body long before any risk to the baby could occur. Not to mention, you're getting TRACE doses in there, versus 500x the ingested dose like the Monkey got.

Peace of mind is valuable however, and as Stingray said, all you need to do is stop taking it for a week or two prior to conception, and you're going to be fine.

Merck would constantly be sued if women were having deformed babies due to the *male* taking Propecia. Why? Because they haven't suggested men stop taking it. You can be assured they did their homework on this, and the warning for *women* to avoid broken tablets was already extremely oversafe.

The value of clinical data is IMMENSE. It enables us to completely identify what is true and what is not, in no uncertain terms.

HairLossTalk.com