Proscar V Propecia and results

do it

Reaction score
I've a quick question that's been triggered by an earlier thread.

Logic tells me that Proscar is the exact same drug as Propecia and therefore will have the exact same effect (for the same doseage).

Could someone who has been taking Proscar confirm that they've had postive results. It's just that I've started on Proscar due to cost issues but am slightly worried that I should be using Propecia just to be on the safe side.

Any help/reassurances much appreciated.

cheers

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
do it said:
I've a quick question that's been triggered by an earlier thread.

Logic tells me that Proscar is the exact same drug as Propecia and therefore will have the exact same effect (for the same doseage).

Could someone who has been taking Proscar confirm that they've had postive results. It's just that I've started on Proscar due to cost issues but am slightly worried that I should be using Propecia just to be on the safe side.

Any help/reassurances much appreciated.

cheers

Both Propecia and Proscar are Finasteride. The only real difference is that Propecia is a 1mg pill, Proscar is a 5mg. So you definitely made the right choice in saving money. Simply split your pill into 1/5ths, take 1mg per day, and you should be fine. As far as positive results, lots of people have either slowed their loss, maintained their hair, or regrown new hair using Propecia/Proscar/Finasteride. Good luck.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would go much further than that.

The Propecia trials were done before the product was available to the consumer, before the packaging was devised, before even the name Propecia was settled on.

It would have been only after successfully gaining FDA approval that Merck would further invest in marketing, choosing a shape and colour for their 'new' product and so on.

We already know that Proscar was in production and readily available.

I don't think it unreasonable to consider that the Propecia trails were conducted with 1mg doses of Proscar, I use the name Proscar to make my point, in truth it was simply a 1mg dose of finasteride.

My conclusion is not only that Propecia and Proscar are the very same drug, we know this already by simply comparing the ingredients and seeing that they only differ by the colourant used in the coating (see below), but that is just as valid to say that the trials were conducted with Proscar as much as it is valid to say they were conducted with (what would later be know as) 'Propecia'.

PROPECIA: finasteride, lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, sodium starch glycolate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, hydroxypropyl cellulose LF, titanium dioxide, magnesium stearate, talc, docusate sodium, yellow ferric oxide, and red ferric oxide.

PROSCAR: finasteride, lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, sodium starch glycolate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, hydroxypropyl cellulose LF, titanium dioxide, magnesium stearate, talc, docusate sodium, FD&C Blue 2 aluminum lake and yellow iron oxide.

johnny1290

Reaction score
I've never tried propecia, just proscar, both brand name and generic, and I can say it keeps my hair from falling out :) Some people get all bent out of shape and believe that the 5mg is not evenly distributed in the proscar pill, vs the measured 1mg in teh propecia...me personally I quarter the proscar and just take it in the morning and call it done...I'm not worried about it. Althoughh I may start trying to cut the pill into 5ths or take one day out of 5 off to compensate. YMMV good luck to ya