hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just saw this from a company called 'Fagron'

[video=vimeo;130414039]https://vimeo.com/130414039[/video]

But what is this Prostaquinon that blocks PGD2? I found this document as well:
http://tinyurl.com/pdbw4c4

Substance seems to be: Nigella Sativa (Black Cumin) Seed Extract

Another 'herbal' remedy... sigh! But how did they come to the conclusion that it blocks PGD2? Is there any actual science behind that?

Looks like they've got Latanoprost on hand as well:
http://tinyurl.com/o7t993k

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
A cursory glance at PubMed indicates that black cumin is a COX inhibitor. It might diminish PGD2 but it also seems to diminish PGE2. Joy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16762422
[...] Thymoquinone (TQ) is the main active constituent of the volatile oil extract of Nigella sativa seeds and has been reported to have anti-inflammatory properties. [...] Intraperitoneal injection of TQ for 5 days before the first OVA challenge attenuated airway inflammation as demonstrated by the significant decrease in Th2 cytokines, lung eosinophilia, and goblet cell hyperplasia. This attenuation of airway inflammation was concomitant to the inhibition of COX-2 protein expression and PGD2 production. However, TQ had a slight inhibitory effect on COX-1 expression and PGE2 production. These findings suggest that TQ has an anti-inflammatory effect during the allergic response in the lung through the inhibition of PGD2 synthesis and Th2-driven immune response.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16142638
Dithymoquinone, thymohydroquinone, thymol and thymoquinone, compounds derived from N. sativa seeds, were investigated for their in vitro anti-inflammatory activities using cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) and -2 (COX-2) assays. Our results show that all substances tested possess significant inhibitory activity against at least one COX form at concentrations comparable to the active one of indomethacin. Thymol was the most active against COX-1 with an IC (50) value of 0.2 microM while thymohydroquinone and thymoquinone exhibited the strongest inhibitory effect on COX-2 with IC (50) values of 0.1 and 0.3 microM, respectively. Moreover, dithymoquinone and thymoquinone showed a limited COX-2-specific inhibition. We conclude that dithymoquinone, thymohydroquinone, thymol and thymoquinone can participate in the general anti-inflammatory activity of N. sativa and suggest that these agents should be further studied for possible use as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

Solomon

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't believe in products that came to the market out of the nowhere :( your thoughts Hell?

dupaman

Reaction score
They have 0.005% Latanoprost. Is that useful guys? I guess the concentration would have to be at least 1% to have any visible effect.

Desmond_84

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just gonna post about this and found out you guys are already onto this. Here's the information I've gathered on this:

Blackseed extract also known as Nigella sativa, contains an active known as Tymoquinon, which exerts anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects by inhibiting pro-inflammatory mediators, such as cyclooxygenase (COX) and prostaglandin D2.

Now, since Tymoquinon is a natural extract, it is readily available and will not undergo rigorous studies (10+ years of trials). However, in 2013 an Italian team made it up in a topical lotion and applied it to scalps suffering from Telogen effluvium and collected data over 6 months. The study is publicly available. Here's the link:

http://file.scirp.org/pdf/JCDSA_2013081513583870.pdf

Results:
At 3 months, 90% of patients using NS solution demonstrated a significant increase in the number of hairs/cm2 in comparison to baseline (T0), while in the group of patients treated with placebo, only 30% of patients showed hair density increase.

In detail, nine out of ten patients belonging to the NS group showed an increase in hair number. Five of these patients reported a further increase at T6, while in four patients we observed a stabilization of the disease with a preservation of hair density also at follow-up. Results strongly differed from the placebo group, where six out of ten patients displayed severe hair loss at both T3 and T6, only three patients showed an improvement in hair density, and one patient showed a stabilization of the disease with the same hair density at T0 and T3.

There are photos and hair counts as well.

Anyways, the same company that makes Espumil foaming solution (***ron) also manufactures Tymoquinon under the trade name Prostaquinon™, which your compounding pharmacy can prepare for you.

I think Prostaquinon would be a cheap addition to our regimen. Here in Aus, it costs $40 to buy 30g of it and you only need 3g maximum per month. Here's the formula if anyone would like to try this out:

Prostquinon™ 3 g
PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil 12 g
Espumil™ qs 100 ml

Compounding instruction:
  1. Calculate the quantity of each ingredient required for the prescription.
  2. Accurately weigh or measure each ingredient.
  3. Mix the Prostaquinon™ with PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil. If required, gently heat the castor oil (using a water bath) until a liquid is formed.
  4. Add approximately three quarters (75 ml) of the Espumil™ slowly to the Prostaquinon™ and PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil solution and homogenize the solution.
  5. Transfer the solution into a graduated cylinder, add qs Espumil™ to reach final volume (100 ml) and homogenize the solution.
  6. Package in ***ron foam dispenser and label.
It must be refrigerated and has a 3 month expiry.

Incompatibilities: Latanoprost. It deactivates Latanoprost so don't mix them together and always apply them separately.

Cheers.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just gonna post about this and found out you guys are already onto this. Here's the information I've gathered on this:

Blackseed extract also known as Nigella sativa, contains an active known as Tymoquinon, which exerts anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects by inhibiting pro-inflammatory mediators, such as cyclooxygenase (COX) and prostaglandin D2.

Now, since Tymoquinon is a natural extract, it is readily available and will not undergo rigorous studies (10+ years of trials). However, in 2013 an Italian team made it up in a topical lotion and applied it to scalps suffering from Telogen effluvium and collected data over 6 months. The study is publicly available. Here's the link:

http://file.scirp.org/pdf/JCDSA_2013081513583870.pdf

There are photos and hair counts as well.

Anyways, the same company that makes Espumil foaming solution (***ron) also manufactures Tymoquinon under the trade name Prostaquinon™, which your compounding pharmacy can prepare for you.

I think Prostaquinon would be a cheap addition to our regimen. Here in Aus, it costs $40 to buy 30g of it and you only need 3g maximum per month. Here's the formula if anyone would like to try this out:

Prostquinon™ 3 g
PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil 12 g
Espumil™ qs 100 ml

Compounding instruction:
  1. Calculate the quantity of each ingredient required for the prescription.
  2. Accurately weigh or measure each ingredient.
  3. Mix the Prostaquinon™ with PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil. If required, gently heat the castor oil (using a water bath) until a liquid is formed.
  4. Add approximately three quarters (75 ml) of the Espumil™ slowly to the Prostaquinon™ and PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil solution and homogenize the solution.
  5. Transfer the solution into a graduated cylinder, add qs Espumil™ to reach final volume (100 ml) and homogenize the solution.
  6. Package in ***ron foam dispenser and label.
It must be refrigerated and has a 3 month expiry.

Cheers.
I've had very persistent diffuse Telogen Effluvium over my whole scalp for almost 3 years now. I wonder if this would be effective for me.

Desmond_84

Established Member
Reaction score
Generally if you suffer from Telogen Effluvium, you must rule out the following before going ahead with treating it as Telogen Effluvium:

• Endocrine: thyroid dysfunction, early signs of Androgenetic Alopecia, etc
  • Nutritional: Vitamin D, Anemia, etc
  • Autoimmune: Alopecia areata, etc

If these were not the culprit, then maybe you could try the following topical formulation:

Clobetasol propionate 0.05% Prostaquinon 3% in a topical vehicle applied once daily.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Generally if you suffer from Telogen Effluvium, you must rule out the following before going ahead with treating it as Telogen Effluvium:

• Endocrine: thyroid dysfunction, early signs of Androgenetic Alopecia, etc
  • Nutritional: Vitamin D, Anemia, etc
  • Autoimmune: Alopecia areata, etc

If these were not the culprit, then maybe you could try the following topical formulation:

Clobetasol propionate 0.05% Prostaquinon 3% in a topical vehicle applied once daily.
Yeah, its the weirdest thing. I had a bad four month shed that thinned out my hair on the top, sides and back of my scalp almost 3 years ago. I've had three thyroid tests that each looked at my T3, T4, and TSH levels. All fell comfortably within the lab reference ranges. A trichologist ruled out AA so I guess it must just be some obscure deficiency that I have yet to discover. I definitely might try this out. Thanks for the heads up man, your posts are always extremely informative.

Desmond_84

Established Member
Reaction score
No worries brother :)

I'm gonna add this to my regimen for a few months as well. See how it goes. Hope this fixes your Telogen Effluvium man. I'll be stoked if it did ;)

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any online link to purchase this? I might just dump it in my topical.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
is this something a dr would have to give a prescription for? Not sure how a compounding pharmacy would make this without doctors orders