prostate cancer

llytteb

Reaction score
i read somewhere that taking finasteride can hamper the detection of prostate cancer? is this true, or a load of crap?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
The PSA test will be lower than normal due to finasteride.

The PSA gives a rating of 0 to .... maybe 6 or something. If you're 6 you're probably almost dead. But finasteride can make a 3 come back as a 2 or a 1. That type of thing.

HairLossTalk.com

Redbone

Reaction score
No, you can beat prostate cancer pretty easily. It is not like Lymphoma or lung cancer where you are a definate gonner.

Robert Deniro just got diagnosed as did Senator John Kerry who had the surgery and the prime minster of Japan

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
redbone said:
Robert Deniro just got diagnosed as did Senator John Kerry who had the surgery and the prime minster of Japan

Speaking of the Japanese PM, he's over 60 years old, check out his hair!

160ap_japan_election_200311.jpg

garthbrooks

Established Member
Reaction score
New york mayor guliani got prostate cancer, and i believe he's fine. My dad got lymphoma cancer, so i recommended the big 3, and he's A ok now.

Redbone

Reaction score
Great news Garth- great news, I love when someone kicks cancers ***. Like the big bad Mr.T back in the early 90's

Paladin_X

Reaction score
cancer

Prostrate cancer is a huge killer in men.. People who are ok, usually detect it early and treat it. If it goes unnoticed for a long period of time its just as dangerous as breast cancer is for women. If your at the age of prostrate risk, I wouldnt recommend taking a drug that might hide any symptoms

Redbone

Reaction score
That is a silly statement Paladin since Finasteride was invented for men
in their 50's and 60's who have enlarged prostates. That is the age group where it is most prominent. You should start screening for it at age 40.
Which is when baldness is most common.

Listen to what HairLossTalk.com said and tell the doctor when you have the test that you are taking Propecia. To just not take the drug is silly. and not telling your doctor your on it is just plain stupid- I see your point though for those who say nothing, could really hurt them in the long run.

G

Re: cancer

Paladin_X said:
Prostrate cancer is a huge killer in men.. People who are ok, usually detect it early and treat it. If it goes unnoticed for a long period of time its just as dangerous as breast cancer is for women. If your at the age of prostrate risk, I wouldnt recommend taking a drug that might hide any symptoms

Ah, here we go again! The basis for this "recommendation" is what?
Since proscar is given to men who have BPH and are "at risk" for developing prostate cancer, how do you square your thinking with that little fact?

:freaked2:

G

BruceLee said:
redbone said:
How old are you Bruce? How long do you plan on taking Propecia?

54 yrs old.

Taking it about 2 yrs.

Sorry rest of answer, I have no plans to take it for a specific time. If it appears to be working and side effects dont jump up, I will just keep taking it.

On the other hand, if hair multi of other new technique comes along, I will be there.

misterkleen

Reaction score
Propecia weeds out those weak cancers...

One caution: Men on finasteride had a slightly greater chance of being diagnosed with a more aggressive form of the disease than did the placebo takers. More research on the drug is needed, but if you're concerned about prostate cancer, discuss these findings with your doctor.

jrg

Established Member
Reaction score
PSA has nothing to do with prostate cancer. It relates to the size of the prostate and the permeability of tissues surrounding the blood vessels. Prostate enlargement reduces the distance between the prostate and the blood vessels. This together with the increase in permeability therefore causes a larger amount of prostate specific antigens to enter the bloodstream. The classic view of a normal range of 0-4 can be thrown out of the window.

Most cancer patients have PSA in the range of hundreds to thousands. But there are people who don't have cancer but also registered high PSA scores. I personally have PSA of a few times that of the 'normal'. Similary, it dosen't mean people with 'normal' PSA don't have prostate cancer.

Most men who live long enough will develop prostate cancer. It's just that most of them die a natural death before the cancer spreads to the bones. One of the treatment method is actually to do nothing as it spreads so slowly.

G

Re: Propecia weeds out those weak cancers...

misterkleen said:
One caution: Men on finasteride had a slightly greater chance of being diagnosed with a more aggressive form of the disease than did the placebo takers. More research on the drug is needed, but if you're concerned about prostate cancer, discuss these findings with your doctor.

there may (or not) be a illustion forming here that finsateride causes prostate cancer, ths is not rue, finasteride masks the development of prostate cancer so it is hard to detect, and when eventually it is detected it may be more developed and be at a later stage (more aggressive).

daily intake of selenuim reduces prostae cancer by aound 50%, this significant improvement can be accheived by eating two large Brasil nuts a day, make sure they are organic as intensive farming and storgae may remove nutrients Including selenuim.

Good Nuts

TY

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Re: Propecia weeds out those weak cancers...

misterkleen said:
One caution: Men on finasteride had a slightly greater chance of being diagnosed with a more aggressive form of the disease than did the placebo takers.
Incorrect. Men who already had Prostate cancer were benefitted by using Finasteride. Men who already had Prostate cancer that was of the more aggressive form, did not benefit from finasteride, but in fact, it made it worse for them. Important distinction.

There was no correlation between taking Finasteride and *being diagnosed* with aggressive prostate cancer.

HairLossTalk.com