proton's story

proton

Reaction score
Hey, so I am 20 years old, and noticed my hairloss at 19, but probably started earlier. It has taken its toll on my confidence and hair is all I think about pretty much, so I want to take action to keep what I have and hopefully regrow. I have hairline recession, diffuse thinning on top, and the beginnings of a bald spot. My father is about a NW5 and he told me his dad went bald at 21. My mom's dad has about a NW2 at 80 years old. Just seeing if you guys have any recommendations. I am planning on starting minoxidil 5% and wondering what else I should add. I'm not big on the idea of propecia....
Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo3.png

Photo4.jpg

Thanks guys.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Re: 20 years old, need recommendations

I'd jump onto Nizoral while your contemplating your choices. It's an anti-fungal shampoo but it's also a mild anti-androgen, so it can be beneficial for early hairloss, I've being using for about 4 months and I've definitely noticed a slight improvement.

But at the end of the day, Finasteride is the only proven treatment to prevent hairloss and even re-grow hair.

You should even consider trying 0.5 mg as opposed to 1mg. Also notice in the charts in the link I provided that the side effects are almost identical to the placebo.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/finasteride.html

You should read that. You'll see that the scary adverse effects are in 0.03% range.

ohmanohno

Established Member
Reaction score

Start now and you will be golden. Your hair is still pretty solid. Get on Rogaine and finasteride daily or every other day. I recommend 5mg so you can cut them into quarters which will save you money.

KnowHair

Reaction score

"I'm not big on the idea of propecia."

At this time and with the current state of medical science and commercially available treatments, Propecia/Finasteride/Proscar (and other similar drugs like dutasteride) is your ONLY chance at keeping the hair you have now. Rogain will not allow you to keep your hair because it doesn't prevent DHT from knocking out your hair follicles. It merely makes hair grow faster by preventing it from going into its normal resting stage. You will continuing losing your hair while on Rogain.

If I were you, I would get on Proscar (a much cheaper version of Propecia that you can cut in fourths to get the same dose) and take it until hair multiplication becomes commercially available (if such a time comes). I have been taking Finasteride for the last 13 years - regrew and kept my hair - no side effects.

proton

Reaction score

Made a dr. appointment for tomorrow. Gonna try to get a prescription for finasteride. I've been reading up on it here and it's a risk I'm willing to take. Wish me luck guys, hopefully this is the beginning of the end of hair loss. Also just ordered Nizoral.

proton

Reaction score

Thanks. I went to the clinic at my school today, but the lady I saw was just a nurse practitioner and wanted me to talk to their doctor before putting me on Propecia, so I'm going back Thursday and hopefully will get the prescription. I'm excited to start trying to fight this rather than accepting it. I've got a good mindset right now, ready to take this head on, no pun intended. If it doesn't work then f**k it, I'm shaving my head. Question, where on the Norwood scale would you guys put me?

dinosaur_sr

Established Member
Reaction score

Wow, your hair is scarily similar to mine. Darker and perhaps a little stronger, but now I've cut mine I could be looking in the mirror haha. I'd put you at NW2, but I wouldn't worry as it's unnoticeable from the outside. Good luck!

proton

Reaction score
Just saw your story and our hair is very similar haha. Seeeing it on someone else helps me realize that it's not that bad. Since joining this forum I've had a much better outlook.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair looks great at the moment, I'm pretty sure finasteride will either improve your hair or stop the loss in its tracks at your stage/ age.

proton

Reaction score
Hey all, jsut a quick update. Today is my first day on finasteride. Got a prescription for Proscar, splitting them in quarters so I'm taking 1.25 mg a day. When the minoxidil shows up in the mail, I'll be using that every 3rd day or so. I'll keep you updated.