Qball's Story - ( 36 / Diffuse thinning)

qball

Reaction score
Hi All. I wanted to introduce myself. I have been lurking on this site for years now. My friend and I got obsessed with hairloss when I was around 24 or 25. We heard about propecia and we both started taking it. My hair was very thick at that point and I was taking it "prophylactically". Anyhow, I noticed some changes to my hair when I hit 30, a month after I got married.

I had started graduate school, and I was sitting in a lecture and I noticed one day that my hair was getting really oily. My hair had never been oily before...ever. And I also noticed a strange smell to my hair as well. I attributed this to some weird scalp condition and started using t-gel and sebulex shampoo. Soon the smell and oiliness decreased. i did not notice a change in hair thickness at this point...

It wasn't really up until the past 8 months that I noticed a change in the thickness of my hair. My wife never mentioned a thing until I told her that my hair was thinning...She was like "oh yeah your hair isn't as thick as it used to be." I noticed that my cowlick in the area was thinning out. my front, especially in my part area was definitely thinning and my hair & scalp were getting OILY. My hair was also beginning to look "chewed" up.

The past year has been very stressful in terms of employment and other personal issues and I think this had some part in my hair thinning out. I had to take action as most of us do so I started on 1% nizoral daily and then half a month later started on finpecia. This has been going on for 2.5 and 2 months respectively.

Results: I don't have pictures. I will probably take some and post them up in the future...I have noticed that the nizoral has done a good job of thickening the hair up and making it more manageable. It is still thinning, but looking much better. My wife had recently mentioned that my hair was looking better after I had been away for a number of weeks. My head doesn't itch as much. I guess I will have to wait to see what happens with the finpecia. I am not sure about the shedding thing. More recently I have noticed less hair in my hands in the shower, but I don't know if it is the same or has increased or decreased. It is really hard to tell without putting a filter on your drain. I do notice a lot more "weak, thin" hairs in my hand in the shower vs the normal looking thick ones. I am not sure what that means. I also wash my hair twice a day(once in the monring and once at night) because of my work and the fact that I need to do it. For the past 2 weeks, I started using polysorbate 80(which I bought in a huge jug) and mixing it with a mild shampoo and using that as my first wash and letting it sit on my head for 10-15 mins followed by the nizoral in the morning(5 mins on head) or t-gel(5 mins on head) in the evening. The oiliness on my scalp and hair has all but disappeared with this treatment. I have read some people having success with polysorbate 80. I have no clue if this stuff regrows hair, but my scalp feels a lot cleaner because of it.

Conclusions:
1) I am convinced that oiliness of the scalp or increased sebum production has something to do with hairloss. Perhaps it accelerates it. Who knows...
2) Nizoral is some good stuff!
3) Polysorbate 80/shampoo mix seems to be keeping the oiliness at bay

I also wanted to thank all of the people who post on this message board. I have learned a lot and have also researched some of the stuff I have found on here. Thanks everyone.

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
I've also noticed my hair being oily and having a strange smell to it. Have you seen a doctor about this, could it be a symptom of something else?

qball

Reaction score
I did not see a doctor for it. But since I have started some serious treatment with nizoral and the polysorbate 80, the smell has totally gone away. The oiliness has practically disappeared. I think the smell may be due to some sort of fungus? I am not sure. I guess I should have gone to a dermatologist at the time, but I made every excuse not to see a physician.

oarf11

Established Member
Reaction score
qball said:
I did not see a doctor for it. But since I have started some serious treatment with nizoral and the polysorbate 80, the smell has totally gone away. The oiliness has practically disappeared. I think the smell may be due to some sort of fungus? I am not sure. I guess I should have gone to a dermatologist at the time, but I made every excuse not to see a physician.
Ha, I know that feeling. I really only noticed thinning patches back in like late June or July, and now there are a couple patches in different parts of my head. I've got the oil/smell and some dandruff, which I never had before. I finally made an appt to see my dermatologist this week. I'm really hoping it's something reversible and not male pattern baldness.