Question about buzzing my hair

daedalus

Reaction score
I usually go to the barber and get my hair buzzed with a #1 setting on top and a 1/2 or 0 on the back and sides. I got sick of paying for that every week, so I went out and bought my own hair clippers. Now here's my question - how do I blend between the 0 setting on the back and sides and the 1 on top to get that 'fade' look?

I think my barber might use a special blending clipper, and I looked for that online but came up with nothing. Do any of you guys know how to do this? Do I need some kind of special tool for it?

I tried doing it myself with just the attachments I have, but it looked very sloppy. So I just buzzed my whole head with a 0 setting. It's very short that way though, pretty close to being shaved. So I'd rather cut it with a #1 on top but then the blending becomes an issue. Any help is appreciated!

The Rock

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, i have the same prediciment. The only thing I do is i try to slightly use the 1 not as pressureized/on an angle ....... or i buzz the sides all the way and let it grow back a day and then do the same haircut and don't touch the "blended" portin...but i would like to get that in between setting....that would be good stuff........

jrg

Established Member
Reaction score
Its all about technique. While on 0, move the clipper starting from the bottom (just above your ear) up toward the top. When its near the curvature, flick the clipper away from your head (while still moving up). That will do the trick.

daedalus

Reaction score
jrg, do you do that by yourself or have someone do it for you? I used the same technique as you yesterday, but it looked uneven. I was using two mirrors, but getting the right angle is difficult especially in the back.

Maybe I just need more practice.

The Rock

Established Member
Reaction score
oh btw....i found something else useful for bleding take the buzzer and instead of using it the "normal way" turn it upside down and do the hairs....it creates it a slightly differnet length when u use no clip.....that has worked perfect

oni

Reaction score
Don't try and do it yourself get a friend or family member you trust to do it! :)

Dimebolt3000

Reaction score
after lots of practice, you can do it urself.....u can feel the angles of your head.

I cut my hair all the time by myself. If my brother is around, i will have him "edge" my neck..thats it!