Question About How Bald You Can Get

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
im 28, and my hair has been getting finer for about 2 years now. i still have coverage, but my hairline is receeding a little, and the back is developing a small bright spot. i have been on propecia for 1yr 1mo, and 5% minoxidil going on 5 mo. i have always had very dense hair. when i first started taking propecia, i had a ton of hair, and when i started minoxidil, i didnt have as much hair, but my hair and hairline was pretty wiped out by it. it seemed to speed up the process. nonetheless, i have stuck it out with them, only to notice things are getting worse all over.

what i mean by that is the back and the sides of my hair have gone from dense course hair, to very fine and course hair. i have been noticing this for a while. i used to cut the back and sides with a #2 guard and it felt very course. then it got to the point where i had to go to a #3 guard because it contrased with the rest of my hair too much. then of course a #4. now the #4 guard looks to contrasting, and the hair on the back and the sides looks lighter and it can get much longer before it looks like it needs to be cut. it is still more dense than the top, but it is getting much finer.

is this normal?? should i be going thinner on the sides and back too?? i was hoping that i would be able to get a transplant, but it looks as if my only hope to have hair is dissappearing. how bald can you get?? if propecia and minoxidil cant even save the back and sides of my hair much less the front and crown, how bald can i go?? is this even normal for a whole head of hair to be getting finer?? and if the big 2 cant even seem to have slowed this process down, does that mean that i am going to go cueball??

Rawbbie

Established Member
Reaction score
there are reasonable studies that show that if by the time you are 30 years old, and you have not lost your hair, then you are very unlikely to go *completely* bald- meaning it's not likely you'll have a shiner ontop with the horseshoe. And no, that isn't for everyone, but your chances are quite good that you won't bald prematurely because you're already 28.

I'm 30 this coming January, and am beginning to notice that the very centre of my hairline is thinning somewhat. I've always had this, but for some reason it looks like it's becoming thinner- it's noticeable in the sun.

So hopefully we'll both be off the hook, but still, we'll never be clear of the threat until we're old and gray, lol

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rawbbie said:
there are reasonable studies that show that if by the time you are 30 years old, and you have not lost your hair, then you are very unlikely to go *completely* bald- meaning it's not likely you'll have a shiner ontop with the horseshoe. And no, that isn't for everyone, but your chances are quite good that you won't bald prematurely because you're already 28.

I'm 30 this coming January, and am beginning to notice that the very centre of my hairline is thinning somewhat. I've always had this, but for some reason it looks like it's becoming thinner- it's noticeable in the sun.

So hopefully we'll both be off the hook, but still, we'll never be clear of the threat until we're old and gray, lol

I knew a person that had hair on their head at 30 and was bald as a mother f****r by 40. So it's definatly possible