Question about my shed.

team55

Reaction score
I noticed my hairline receding mildly and the occasional hair falling on my book while studying about a year ago. Within a couple of months I went onto propecia and minoxidil. The treatment worked and even though my hair loss was minimal to start with, within a few months it was completely unnoticeable.

I went to a derma and got a script for 5mg finasteride and have been using a 1/4 of a tablet of the generic "finasta" for about 3 months now. Since that time my hair loss has sky rocketed. I thought it was due to a shed as the derma said changing from 1mg propecia to 1.25mg finasta could cause that. But this has been going for about 2 months now (from about a month into finasta) and shows no signs of slowing down.

I was wondering how long a shed could last? My current plan is to wait until I run out of finasta which is another month and reassess. Obviously I can go back to the more expensive propecia, change to the proscar 5mg from the generic but I was just wondering what is the maximum time for a shed to last. It is so much worse than my propecia shed that im considering just going to try proscar straight away.

rtc84

Established Member
Reaction score
Remember, propecia and finasteride are exactly the same thing. After 2-3 months on finasteride a shed is normal and it could last 7 months. Many guys don't see improvements from finasteride until the 9-12 month mark. If you quit now, you aren't giving it a long enough chance.

team55

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the reply. I'll give it a couple more months and see if there is any improvement. Luckily I have thick hair so its not noticeable yet.

And yes, I know they are both finasteride so that's why it was a bit strange that the dermatologist said changing from propecia to another brand could bring on another shed. Also strange considering it had stopped my hair loss almost completely and now its so bad. I suppose that's why I am concerned. Is it possible that the variations in not splitting the pill perfectly could affect anything?